Chapter Eleven

Charles gently pushed you into the room as you felt anxiety rise. Everyone is going to know you're infected, won't they judge you?

Charles rubbed your upper arms and shoulders with a gentle reassuring hand, partially using his chest to nudge you in.

You felt his breath in your ear briefly, "You have to tell your temporary teacher your name so he knows you're here. I put you're name in as Cossette Malor, it's written on your sheet as well if you need to spell it."

Charles gave you one final shove, careful not to push you straight to the floor.

"Have fun! I'll pick you up later today! Or my assistant will."

The sound of Charles closing the door permeated your ears but you did not react, focused on the many loud and obnoxious boys.

Inching past the groups and cliches of various loud and idiotic people too excited for an apocalyptic setting, you reached the front counter.

"Um, excuse me?" You spoke out to the man.

He was a bald man with glasses, the generic kind, looks like he could've been a football coach in the past.

"Yeah?" He spoke curtly.

"I was told to let you know who I am. So you can wri-"

"Yee-up, what's your name?" He interrupted you.

"...Cossette... Cossette Malor..." you partially seethed, irritated by his efforts of first introductions.

"Cossette... Cossette... yeah you're not here, who inducted you?"

"Dr. Charles, just yesterday I believe."

The man looked up at you with an irritated gaze, "That's Doctor Maddle to you. And nice try, you aren't going to pretend like you have privilege."

"What?"

"You really expect me to believe Doctor Maddle, a supervisor, inducted you? Seriously? That's not even believable."

The man looked at you with an annoyed expression, glaring up at you before rolling his eyes and looking through his computer a second time.

"Found you, inducted by anonymous. Not Doctor Maddle." The man spoke down to you in a matter-of-fact way.

"Right, well I'm going to sit down." You partially shut him down.

You turned around to take a seat and generally ignore the jerk, but he stopped you.

"Ah ah ah, no! What makes you think you can lie to me?" He scolded you.

If it were any normal day, you'd just play along to shut him up, but given the circumstances, you were fairly annoyed. Chased out of your home twice and then forced to abandon your brother from cowardice. Frankly, some stuck-up baldy was too unimportant for you to put time into.

"I didn't lie, you just don't believe me. Honestly, I don't care about your idea of what happened, especially involving who inducted me. Your lack of faith doesn't and shouldn't have anything to do with me. Keep your insecurities to yourself." You seethed to him, finding yourself scarily easy to anger.

"Well if you're going to talk to me like that you can go to the main office."

"Hey dipshit, this building might be a school, but shit ain't that simple. This is a temporary government building. Want me to go down and tell them all about how some skeptical ex-coach baldy got whiney and sent me down because he couldn't handle feedback? Because something tells me they have bigger problems than some washed-up insecure idiot."