Chapter Eight

The first thing you noticed when you began to wake up was a comforting smell. You couldn't place what the smell originated from, aside from the fact it was close to you, at first.

You opened your eyes, feeling someone's presence.

Fern was leaned over you in a loving concern. It made... a little uncomfortable? But the smell calmed you far to much to care.

Fern sat on the side of the bed, adjusting the long forgotten bandages he'd placed on you with a soft hand.

You'd completely forgotten about the bandages, it even seems like there were more.

Fern pet your hair for a moment, simply looking deeply at your bandages and face.

It took you a while to notice, but Fern's sleeve being used to wipe the side of your mouth made you notice. Fern was actually wearing clothes. It was only a thin sweater and some jeans, but it was unusual for Fern nonetheless.

You opened your mouth to tell him this, but Fern just shushed you.

"Shhh, relax..." Fern cooed sympathetically.

You weren't going to, but the comforting smell over whelmed you and you were about to close your eyes.

Before you remembered what Leo said. Leo may be a monster, but he wouldn't lie about something like that.

Just as you thought this you notice Fern grimace a little bit.

Leo had said Fern often did something to the girls he met and, by the sound of it, it doesn't sound good.

Fern leaned forward and a mere moment later the comforting smell doubled.

Pressing a tender affectionate kiss on your forward, Fern lightly embraced you with a hand on your head and the other on your waist. It wasn't perverted in nature, but more romantic maybe? Either way, you never gave consent to his embrace.

"Owen and Gabriel are gone for now and 'm gonna be leaving in a second too, okay?" Fern mumbled to you.

You wanted to speak but scent made you incapacitated, so you merely hummed curiously.

Fern smiled and giggled in a way that seemed just like him for the first time in a while, "I wanted to go raid some houses, since most of 'em are empty now. I want to get you some pretty clothes!" He explained eagerly and with a soft voice.

You wanted to ask him what Leo was talking about... but if you say anything he'll know you were eavesdropping.

Fern's smile faltered for a moment before he smiled almost guiltily, "You heard everything, didn't you?" He asked.

You froze, you hadn't moved the entire conversation, your exhausted expression unchanging the entire time. How had he figured it out?

"You must have a lot've questions. You can ask 'em, I don't mind." Fern told you in a soothing manner though it did little to calm you. Not that he noticed.

You thought for a moment, you wanted to ask about what Leo had said but was that a good idea? Well, you wanted know.

"Leo... that man had said that you did something to women, please tell me, tell me what you did." You spoke to Fern, who seemed to stop breathing after hearing Leo's name and soon after sinking into thought.

You only grew nervous as Fern seemed fidget and turn anxious.

"I... it's- um..." Fern stammered for a moment, looking like he was going to start sweating.

Finally he took a deep breath in.

"I wanted to know... what it was like to be a woman. When the asylum- ah wait you don't- agh you don't know about that... I just... had an opportunity, I guess. There were some girls who were a bit mean to me, so they were closest when people... well when they stopped moving. I just wanted to see... what they looked like, I wasn't doing anything bad, please don't believe that about me!" Fern struggled to get the truth out, though you were still confused.