Chapter Nine

It wasn't long before the strange man had you in a cargo car.

The man was handling you carefully, laying out sterile plastic on the place you sat and wore medical gloves that reached to his elbows to touch you.

Despite this he left no shortage of personal touch. Not in an inappropriate touchy way- but more like he was handling someone on the brink of insanity.

Though to be fair, it was good caution. In fact, it was a fair assumption. We are in an apocalypse.

"Allow me to introduce myself, I am Charles Maddle, an ex military doctor. I'm currently working with the military to relieve the public, including the partially infected, like yourself if you don't mind me saying so." The strange doctor, Charles, introduced himself in a soothing and calm way similar to a therapist. That made sense, you suppose, with him having handled injured military in the past.

You shakily shook your head, not very responsive to Charles. You were more concerned with how to find Gabriel again.

Charles paused for a moment, looking you over and observing your deep thought, "As a doctor, I am obligated to protect the public. This being said, while my authority does allow me to defend the infected, you must understand that there will be many trials for you as person.

You will be under my jurisdiction, so you don't have to fear experimentation, but I hope you understand that there will be strict restrictions waiting for you." Charles spoke sympathetically, folding his hands together.

Charles doesn't seem like a bad guy, but with your first meeting being two guns pointed at your head, you wondered if you should even tell him about Gabriel.

"What were those men talking about earlier? Bonuses... or something?" You asked, not wanting to remain quiet.

Charles looked surprised for a moment, his amber eyes wide, "You haven't heard? Women are the prime victims of the monsters in many states, including this one. To prevent further damage, the soldiers were promised bonuses for any girls they found. Here, see? These were posted just about everywhere, perhaps you just didn't see them?" He spoke gently, extending a sheet of paper.

A red sheet of paper.

To your shock, the paper was the same shade of red paper that had caused Owen and Fern to insist you stay. The same paper Fern found in that bus stop.

While at first you were deeply upset by their actions, and you still are, you begin to realize something.

"Um... why do they want women so... badly? I mean, I know why but... it's not like they have a guarantee that we'll... uh..." you tried to get your terrifying thoughts out to Charles, hoping to be consoled that it wasn't true.

"Oh no! No haha, there's no plans for political reproduction. As it is now, it's not entirely possible to enforce such a thing. The government is weak right now and there are already opposing organizations. Some even entirely of women.

Chances are, if they feel it's needed, they'll only introduce policy or a bonus system similar to the ones offered to the soldiers.

Regardless, it's not something you will have to worry about for now. For a multitude of reasons. One of them we should discuss. Your bodies condition." Charles assured you of the current political outline, smiling gently and continuously reaching out before drawing back in as though he wished to hug you.

You jumped a bit at the mention of your body. You hadn't even considered the idea of infertility. Not that you had any plans to have kids, it's nice to have the choice.

"I don't have access to any of my medical supplies needed to give you a proper check up here, but if its alright with you we can still get started. I'd like to inspect the mycelium on your body, as well as your leg." Charles scooted forward in his seat, staring at you with wide adoring eyes. It made you feel a little flustered.