ii.

The time that Edward had been gone was uneventful, unless you count Bella Swan's never-ending stare. Everyone in Emma's family had noticed Bella looking for the missing vampire, but Emma knew the girl was better off knowing nothing until Edward's return. Which is why it was so entertaining to watch Edward after he returned. After hunting and remaining in solitary, Edward was pushing his boundaries the first day he was back. Emma tried her hardest not to laugh when Alice revealed just how pathetic Edward was at keeping conversation with the human in biology. Watching Edward struggle with talking to a girl was quite amusing for Emma, but she actually found the pair's newfound friendship heart-warming as he talked through his feelings.

Edward and Emma had been walking to their cars, talking about the newfound friendship when Edward's eyes found Bella. The blonde felt Edward's gaze and turned to meet his eyes. Emma rolled her eyes and kept walking to her Jeep, unaware that Edward had stopped to continue staring at Bella. Emma turned slightly to talk to the vampire and finally noted his absence. "And then there was one." Emma shook her head as she looked back at Edward. Emma turned back around and moved to open her driver's side door when she picked up the sound of screeching tires. The blonde moved back around her vehicle just in time to see a blur flash across the parking lot. Emma's eyes widened as she watched Tyler Crowley's black van swerve right into Bella Swan's rusty red truck. The sound of metal bending alarmed Emma, but her jaw dropped when Edward jumped out from between the cars seconds later. No one else in the parking lot seemed to take notice of the vampire as they all flocked over to the vehicles. Emma could only assume Bella was hidden behind her truck as she turned to see what could only be described as flames shooting out of her mother's head.

____

Emma had followed Edward and Rosalie to the hospital as Rosalie shoved Edward in her car and scolded him the entire drive to see Carlisle. Emma felt as if she was playing Switzerland as Edward defended his choices and Rosalie berated Edward for bringing attention to their family. Carlisle had checked out Bella at the hospital and finally came over to three family members. "There were 15 kids that saw what happened!" Rosalie continued to glare at Edward as she looked to Carlisle as a reinforcement. "What was I supposed to do then? Let her die?" Edward looked at Rosalie with an exhausted expression. "This isn't just about you. This is about all of us." Rosalie glared at Edward, drawing any attention to their family was seen as a threat to Emma's entire existence. "I think we should take this into the office." Carlisle finally stepped in as he took notice of Bella Swan peaking her head around the corner of the hallway on the far end. All heads turned to Bella as Rosalie stopped herself from biting the human's head off. "Can I talk to you for a minute?" Bella gained some courage to talk, but only looked in Edward's direction. "Rosalie." Carlisle put a hand on the woman's back as she continued to glare at Edward. "Come on." Emma grabbed her mom's hand and gently guided her down the hallway. Emma felt guilty when she felt her mom squeeze her hand, Rosalie may be very cold, but she just wanted to do what was best for her family.

___

"Eggshells, carrot tops. Compost is cool!" Mr. Molinda yelled out in happiness the next day as he guided his 3 Biology sections through a greenhouse. "Now, stuff that in there, Eric." Emma watched as Mr. Molinda guided Eric through the composting process. "Yes, Sir." Eric slightly mocked as Emma walked alongside Angela, the girl's talking about the upcoming prom. "Very good, very good!" Mr. Molinda praised as Eric kept crushing the materials in the bin. "Now, I am going to make a steaming cup of compost tea." Mr. Molinda held up a glass of light brown liquid. "Gross!" Emma wrinkled her nose at the liquid as Tyler Crowley came running from behind her. "Give me that!" Tyler grabbed the cup from his teacher and held it up in front of him as he continued to walk. "Yeah. This is recycling in its most basic form, guys." Mr. Molina praised the teens' interest in the subject.