xiii.

Emma hunted with her family that night before the battle and now she stood by their side, facing the open field that was prepared for the fight. Bella and Edward were on the top of the mountain, having camped there the night before. Seth and Jacob were with the pair, Sam wanting to keep Seth out of harm's way and Jacob being with Bella. Snow now covered the field from the blizzard that swept the area only a few hours ago. Emma could sense the presence of the wolves from where she stood, but the mountain behind them kept their presence hidden. The battle would start any moment now, Emma could hear the ruffling of the trees. The newborns launched themselves out of the trees, the Cullen family taking off to meet them in the middle. Emma was the fastest and reached her first vampire quickly, ripping the arm off of another vampire as she passed him to collide with her first victim. The blonde pushed down her feelings of guilt as she ripped the head off the vampire. She felt the presence of another newborn behind her and turned just in time to duck and defeat him as well. Emma sent another vampire flying into the air just as the growls echoed the area.

The wolves had emerged from their hiding place and immediately launched an attack. The attack stunned some of the newborns, giving Emma enough time to glance over at the tree line as she heard a smaller sound of movement. Her eyes met the familiar red ones of Victoria but before she could react, she heard the whines of one of the shifters. Emma immediately forgot about the fiery haired woman and jumped back into battle, pushing her way towards the wolf that had been taken down by multiple newborns. Emma took down two of the newborns that sensed her presence before jumping in the air and decapitating the last newborn, who was still focused on, who Emma could now see was Paul. The shifter quickly jumped back up and ripped off the heads of two more incoming newborns. There was a small moment after Paul had recovered that the pair met eyes, sharing a small glance at each other before continuing their fight. It didn't take long until the battlefield was nearly empty, all that was left was the burning bodies of those that had been killed.

Bella and Edward made their way to the field as Alice got sucked into a vision. "How long?" Edward made large strides over to the family as Emma glanced away from the fire, the wolves decently spread out. "A few minutes, maybe 10." Alice offered her prediction of when the Volturi would arrive. "The pack needs to leave, the Volturi won't honor a truce with the werewolves." Carlisle drew the attention back to the pack just as one more vampire came out of the woods. Jacob saw it first, but it was closest to Leah, the wolf immediately going or the obvious attack. "Leah, don't!" Edward immediately moved to save the wolf, but Leah was already seconds away from getting her neck broken when ripped into the newborn's shoulders. Jacob was also taken down by the newborn as the vampire wrapped his arms around Jacob's torso and squeezed him. All of the Cullens winced at the sound of breaking bones and whining, the pack jumping out of the woods to finish the vampire off together. "Jacob!" Bella yelled out as Emma and Edward also rushed to the boy who dropped to the ground in his human form. Jacob was rolling around on the ground and Edward steadied him so that Emma could look over the damage. "The bones on the right side of his body are shattered." Emma winced as she gently touched around his abdomen. Bella dropped to Jacob's side as Emma moved over for Carlisle to confirm the diagnosis.

"Jacob, you idiot, I had it!" Leah yelled out at the shifter as the pack all came out in their human forms. "Leah!" Sam immediately silenced the woman as he leaned down and Emma retreated, allowing Sam to take her place. "I need to set the bones before his accelerated healing kicks in, it's already starting." Carlisle worried as he kept examining Jacob. Emma could feel Paul's presence as he took a step forward, nearly standing next to her. "We need to get them out of here, we're not going to win a fight with the Volturi." Edward pushed forward the more important matter. "We'll take him back to Billy's." Sam informed Carlisle and the man nodded. "Emma, would you go with them? The Volturi don't know you exist, and you have enough training to help until I can get there." Carlisle looked to the blonde for help, knowing her mother would want her far away from the Volturi anyway. "Yeah, of course." Emma nodded as the Cullens moved back to the fire and the pack slowly moved to pick up Jacob. Emma winced at the noises that continued to come out of Jacob, walking slowly along the pack.