XV. The One Who Loses

THEA LAY THERE UNCONSCIOUS.

Lyra lay unconscious, her head on Carlisle's lap, as he thought about how he could turn her... But it wouldn't work with a bite. He sighed as he just monitored both of their heartbeats which were strangely beating at the same pace.

Scarlett arrives late as her heart falls, "n-no- no-" She touches her stomach, "this isn't happening..."

"Their hearts are still beating..." Carlisle bleakly says, "I'm so sorry."

Tears fall as she goes over to Thea, kneeling and pulling her on her lap, "so what? It's up to one of them to survive? Just like they taught us in my old coven?"

"From what I've seen..." Carlisle looks down at Lyra's content face, "it's up to one of them to beat the other at a mental battle."

Tears fell down her face she looks over at Lyra and then down at Thea. 

"Is there no way around this?" Scarlett asked him, "Carlisle, please," he met her hurting eyes, "I raised them. Since they were thirteen and fourteen. I cannot lose them."

"There may be a way..." Carlisle admits.

"What is it?" Scarlett asked pleadingly.

"Turning one of them... But no one ever knew how to do it, it was just passed around as if it was a myth," Carlisle tells her.

"But if a bite doesn't work..." Scarlett shook her head.

Carlisle was about to speak an idea when he heard it.

One of their hearts stopped beating.

"What's wrong?" Scarlett asked.

Carlisle looks at her, "Scarlett-"

Suddenly Lyra gasps for air sitting up!

Something was wrong... She felt it. It felt like her mind was screaming at her extra loud this time, her skin was on fire, and she could sense things that most witches couldn't. She then jumps noticing Carlisle holding her.

"Lyra, Lyra, hey- Hey, it's me," Carlisle told her gently but a bit panicked since he was afraid he was losing a family member.

Lyra blinks before looking around, "where's Thea?"

Scarlett shook her girl in her arms, "Thea? Thea?" Tears began to flood down her face, "no..."

Lyra climbed out of Carlisle's grasp as she went to Thea in a hurry, "Thea," she touched her arm, "wake up," she said, "we did it. The- The spell is over..." 

But as Thea's skin loses all shows of darkness except for dark circles under her eyes... She looked exactly the way she was but she was cold, pale, and just... Not there.

"Thea?" Panic ran through her.

"Lyra?"

They all look over to see Ariana, she had teleported to their location when she was able to, when Thea had died the spell hiding her location had fallen. 

Ariana looked at everyone until she saw Thea.

"Is she okay? She looks like herself," Ariana kneels to her.

Scarlett shares a look with Carlisle.

"She has to wake up," Lyra cries, "it was a spell to make us ultimately strong in magic... It wouldn't have hurt us! Scarlett," she looks at her caregiver who looks at her with a saddened look, "right?" Her voice cracks, "Carlisle, do something!"

"Please," Ariana pleaded as well looking at the doctor.

Carlisle kneels to them, he checks for a pulse even though he already knows, "there's no pulse," he checks for signs of brain activity, "girls..."