Chapter 15

"Hey." I greeted them and he looked at me with an annoyed look.

"Hey, I like your dress." Kie commented.

"Thank you I like yours too." Pope stayed quiet, going back to focusing on the grill. "Pope can I talk to you for a second?"

"I can't really leave the grill so..." He tried to blow me off.

"I'll give you guys a minute." Kie left so I could talk to him. He refused to look at me, still focused on the flames in front of him and I sighed.

This is harder than I thought. It's now nightfall and it's gotten a bit colder out here too.

"I thought about what you said yesterday, about deciding what's more important."

"Mhmm." He still hasn't looked at me.

"I broke up with him." He froze at this and turned to face me in shock.

"You did?" I nodded.

"What about your inheritance?" I shrugged.

"I'll figure something out." I can't believe how surprised he seems at this. "Listen it was never about the money for me you know. Finding the gold was just a way for me to spend time with you guys. He smiled for the first time in days and I feel so much better now that I talked to him.

"I'm sorry too, it wasn't fair for me to blame you for his choices."

"So, are we good now?" I asked, and he nodded.

"We're good." The two of us talked for a while and suddenly JJ walked in looking beat up and bruised. Pope grabbed him and pulled him in for a big hug, leaving me confused.

"Woah, unexpected PDA there doctor Spock but uh love you too man." He kissed his cheek and I let out a laugh.

"I'm sick over all this shit man." Pope said.

"You're sick? You don't look sick." JJ missed what Pope was saying.

"I'm sick on the inside." Pope clarified and JJ nodded.

"What happened to your face?" I asked JJ.

"Did Shoupe do that?" Pope questioned and I gave them both a confused look.

"Shoupe? Why would Shoupe?"

"It was my dad you know he does that jab sometimes." JJ cut off my question and my heart shattered.

"Your dad did that?!" I feel so bad for him.

"Nothing that hasn't happened before." He brushed it off making my stomach sink.

"I'm sorry, I shouldn't have let you take the fall for this man." Pope said, looking like he's on the verge of tears.

The pieces clicked in my head. JJ must have taken the blame for Topper's boat. The two of them went back and forth and then JJ shushed him.

"It doesn't matter anyway." He looked between us. "We're gonna be filthy rich. We're back in the G-game baby." My eyes widened at this.

"How?!"

"No time to explain I have to deliver this note to Sarah but meet us at the Hawke's nest at midnight." JJ told me and I nodded.

—————————-

After a few minutes I noticed Rafe, JJ, Kelce and Topper are all missing along with Sarah and I know this probably isn't good. "I have to go after him." I told Pope.

"Are you crazy? I can't go back you up." He warned me and I nodded.

"I'll be fine, I don't want to risk them hurting JJ."