2

PROLOGUE !

THE PETERS family moved to sydney australia in 2016 when leila was ten and freshly going into fifth grade. she quickly gained the nickname "american" all around school when they heard the girl talk. at first it annoyed her because she was practically getting bullied, they were just genuinely annoying and mean. it was totally different from an american elementary school obviously, but the kids made it hell.
but the joke got old by sixth grade, and it became less teasing and more of a nickname for the girl.

her best friend, natasha brines, she met her sixth grade year when they were paired up with each other. natasha was the first person to not call her "american" and tease her about it. the two instantly became friends after that, and then they befriended a quiet kid named douglass who missed most days of school, but he was still great.

leila grew up fine, with not that many friends, only natasha, douglass, and other associates but she was fine with just her two friends.

when high school came around she made other friends, they were definitely so much more different than her but it's what made her love them even more. she learned things, she overcame things, she figured out who to stay away from. it was all a learning experience, especially in year ten; she found herself in a class called slt because her name was written down for making out with a boy at a party only once. she thought it was ridiculous, she was pissed, but the class was what gave her the group of friends she had now.

as well as a friend who'd she never thought she'd be friends with.

spencer white.

the summer of year ten; going to year eleven was such a surprise to leila

the summer of year ten; going to year eleven was such a surprise to leila. she remembered being at a party to keep an eye on natasha. so for most of three party she found herself in the corner of the room, talking to the dickhead of hartley high; spencer white.

he didn't seem like the dickhead she knew him as. he was pretty nice to her.

that led to small waves to each other in the halls, having multiple conversations through instagram dms, and the next thing you know, he was climbing through her window and talking about his feelings all night long and she was there to listen. always.

but each time he left, he would always tell her: "this never happened." whilst pointing at her before climbing back out of her window. she'd only nod and shrug him off because truly, in the beginning she couldn't care less. but then she started to realize that the boy was only putting on a facade and was truly just sweet.

it was hard to defend his actions in school so she never did, she mostly just scolded him for his actions whenever he showed up in her room, but he didn't care and he didn't listen because he believed that no one would hear him out like she did.

so he'd come over late, talking her ears off even when she was on the verge of falling asleep. he just liked that he had someone there to listen and give him advice. even if he would never listen to the advice, it was nice to hear it.

he also enjoyed her company. he enjoyed at lot of things that he didn't want to admit. so he never did, he just acted as if he didn't care most of the time.

leila could tell that he did this but she never addressed it. she secretly liked the fact that he came to her with his thoughts and troubles. she found it intriguing to know spencer's mind.

but she never meant to catch feelings.