7

a day about you

instead of going to bed like everyone else in the house did, leila stayed up all night, taking out the braids that had been in her hair for a while

they smelled like the dirt she had been laying in at camp, and that was another reason why she couldn't sleep;

camp.

just the thought of yesterday made leila want to cry. it had been twenty hours since she saw spider and missy, twelve hours since she was found on the ground, twelve hours since she had cried in her teachers arms, seven hours since she cried in her dads arms, seven hours since she had cried in her mother and sisters arms, and even now at nine in the morning, she cried when she stood in the shower, washing her curly hair.

she had been holding back her sob that she desperately wanted to let out but she didn't want her sister knocking and asking her if she was okay.

today was her birthday, she was supposed to be happy. but instead she had been thinking about the things she's been through and how much it had hurt her. how much she felt stupid.

the girl sat in the shower with her knees to her chest, her head rested on her knees as the water soaked her head. the shampoo from her hair had been burning her eyes which ruined her attempt to stop crying, it only made her cry more.

"hey, leila? you doing okay in there? it's been an hour, babe!" lauren called out from the other side of the door. leila didn't answer, it only made her cry even harder.

lauren heard her little sister over the sound of the water coming down from the shower head, and with worry, lauren entered the bathroom.

"leila." lauren called, leila's cries were louder now that she had entered the bathroom. "i'm going to pull the curtain back, don't be alarmed." lauren said as she slowly pulled the curtain back.

her heart broke to see her little sister bawled up with the water basically drowning her.

"oh my gosh, leilei." lauren said, her eyes watering as she quickly turned off the water and grabbed leila's towel that was hanging up on the towel rack. she quickly covered her sister up and squat down to pull her into a hug.

"i don't think you told mom and dad everything that happened yesterday." lauren spoke. leila finally looked up at her sister, wiping her face with the towel that was draped over her shoulders.

"i embarrassed myself, laur. i'm idiotic—i'm so stupid." leila shook her head. lauren furrowed her eyebrows as she brushed leila's soaked curls back from her face. "you can tell me anything, you know this." lauren said and leila nodded.

"uh," leila cleared her throat. "i got lost." she stated, lauren nodded. "yeah, and that's okay. you were found and now you're safe." lauren said, reaching over to the sink to grab a brush and started detangling her sister's hair. "it was all because i was paranoid. maybe if i took those mushrooms like everyone else i would've been too high to even take a step." she sniffled. "leila, you don't have to do drugs to fit in. you don't need to do them to be cool, it's cool to be sober. it's like—the coolest thing in the world." leila let out a choked laugh. "you sound like mom and dad." leila commented and lauren smiled, she was happy to see her little sister smile, even if it was just for a second.