8

the demon queen

leila had been biting her tongue for hours now

leila had been biting her tongue for hours now. when she told spider that she wanted to know what was new in his life, she did not want to hear about how him and missy had been secretly seeing each other. even though she saw it with her own eyes, she just didn't expect the boy to fully admit to it.

he admitted that he started liking missy during the slts vs cumlords game and it only expanded from there. it all made sense to her, it all came to together; the looks he had been giving her. it was like a smack in the face every time she thought about it.

"earth to leila!" darren snapped in her face, she turned to look at them. "are you sure you're okay? if you want to tell me about what happened in the woods you can tell me, you know?" they spoke and leila sighed. she wished it was that easy. "i'm good, my mind is on something else—i'm sorry, what are we talking about?" she asked. "quinni. we need to find a way to get her to stop this bird psycho shit." amerie said and leila nodded. "right."

when leila, nat, darren, and amerie visited quinni before school, they noticed that she had been thinking about the bird psycho problem even after she almost died and it wasn't getting healthy. but leila understood that she wouldn't stop until she cracked the case.

"guys, if i'm being honest, i think quinni is gonna do it regardless of what you guys do or say. this has been really important to her." leila said, looking at each of her friends. "but what if we could maybe...distract her from it?" amerie suggested. "we can try." nat shrugged. "but what would we distract her with?" darren asked. "her favorite things." natasha answered as if it was obvious.

"that's very vague of you." darren said, natasha laughed slightly. "i'm serious though. we have to be on some serious brainstorming shit. maybe we could even act like there's a new case and make up an entire story." natasha hadn't been the best at giving ideas, but she always tried to.

leila's eyes had been on sasha's booth, the bubble tea had been calling her name.

"you guys are gonna hate me." leila said with her eyes still locked on the tea. the three all looked over at leila after her statement. "you want some of that tea, huh?" natasha asked. "i do. really badly." leila nodded, looking back at her friends to see amerie with a deadpan expression. "but that's betraying ams." she shook her head. "go get the tea, leila." amerie said. "no way, that's rude to—"

"get the tea!" amerie said. "fine!" leila stood up. "can you please get me one too?" natasha asked, making amerie gasp. "it looks delicious, sorry ams." natasha pursed her lips awkwardly. "fine." amerie groaned, nat sent the girl a wink, leila turned around to head over to the table.

as leila approached the table, she put a kind smile on her face. "hey, guys." she waved lightly, her eyes brushing over missy.

missy was beautiful. she knew exactly why spider would like her, she was fearless, well spoken, smart, confident. everything about missy made her hate herself.