The Abyss Bites Back (by Bella Darkwood)

Dr

Dr. Lena Sorensen gazed out the porthole of the DSV Triton research submarine as it descended deeper into the inky blackness of the Mariana Trench. At over 36,000 feet below sea level, it was the deepest place on Earth - an alien world of eternal darkness and crushing pressure.

Lena and her research team from the Triton Oceanic Institute had been conducting studies on deep sea pollution and its impacts on marine ecosystems. Their mission today was to collect samples from the hadal zone, the deepest region of the ocean, to analyze toxicity levels and microplastics concentrations.

"Approaching maximum operating depth," announced James Caldwell, the sub's pilot. The titanium hull creaked and groaned around them as if the sub was a soda can being crushed by the immense weight of the ocean above.

"Look at that," breathed Avery Chen, Lena's research assistant, pointing out the window. Pale, ghostly fish flitted by, eerily illuminated in the sub's floodlights against the pitch black water. Bioluminescent creatures pulsed and glowed. Occasionally, the grotesque visage of an anglerfish or gulper eel swam past.

"It's incredible," Lena said reverently. "To think we know more about the surface of Mars than the depths of our own oceans. There could be anything down here."

After hours of descent, the sub finally touched down on the silty bottom of the Sirena Deep, kicking up a cloudy plume. Lena and Avery donned pressurized dive suits to go collect their samples.

As soon as the airlock cycled and they stepped out into the enveloping darkness, Lena felt a chill run down her spine that had nothing to do with the near-freezing water temperatures. An overpowering sense of being watched made the hairs on her neck stand up. The sub's lights barely penetrated the gloom.

Forcing down her unease, Lena and Avery made their way across the seafloor, scooping up sediment samples. But then Avery stopped short, pointing his light at something.

"Lena...what is that?" His voice trembled over the comm.

The beam illuminated a macabre sight - the carcasses of hundreds of dead fish and invertebrates littering the seafloor in a wide swath as far as their lights could reach. Crabs, octopuses, eels, and unidentifiable deep sea creatures lay contorted and rotting.

And amid the aquatic boneyard - the glint of metal. Barrels. Huge metal drums with biohazard and radioactive warning symbols, some new-looking, others pitted with rust and corrosion, leaking viscous fluid into the silt. There had to be thousands of them stretching off into the abyss. A illegal toxic waste dumping ground.

 A illegal toxic waste dumping ground