Man-eaters (by Lady Eckland)

It was a hot summer day and Amy had the idea to take some friends to a secluded lake she discovered while hiking

It was a hot summer day and Amy had the idea to take some friends to a secluded lake she discovered while hiking. The lake was nestled in the woods, surrounded by large rocks and cliffs. In the middle was a small island, no more than 100 yards from the shore. Perfect for a day of swimming and tanning without being disturbed, she told her friends Jenna, Sarah and Rachel.

The girls packed a picnic lunch and loaded into Amy's jeep with their swimming gear. After a 30 minute drive down winding dirt roads, they arrived at the lake. "Wow this is gorgeous!" exclaimed Rachel as they stepped out of the jeep. Crystal clear water gently lapped at the rocky shoreline. Tall pine trees provided plenty of shade all around. A light breeze rustled the branches, keeping the air cool despite the sunny skies.

They laid out their towels on the warm rocks and stripped down to their bathing suits. "Last one in is a rotten egg!" shouted Jenna as she took a running leap into the cool water. The others laughed and followed, delighting in the refreshing feeling. They swam around for a while, floating on their backs and splashing each other. Amy noticed how the lake seemed deeper than expected, with a steep drop off only a few yards from shore. "Be careful not to go too far out, we don't know how deep it gets," she warned the others.

After a bit more swimming, they decided to try for the small island visible in the distance. "I'll race you guys!" challenged Sarah, always competitive. She took off with powerful strokes, the others close behind her. The swimming felt good and the exercise warmed their bodies in the cool water. Sarah touched the island shore first, cheering her victory. They collapsed in the sand, catching their breath. The island was much nicer up close, with a sandy beach encircling lush vegetation and tall trees providing shade.

After resting a bit, Jenna jumped up. "Tag, you're it!" She tapped Amy on the shoulder and sped back into the water, giggling. Amy rolled her eyes playfully and gave chase. The girls spent the next hour engaged in an elaborate game of tag, swimming between the island and shore, climbing the rocks to dive back in. Laughing and taunting each other, having pure fun in the warm sun.

Rachel grew tired first. "I'm getting hungry, should we eat?" The others agreed their swimming had built an appetite. They returned to their towels and unpacked the picnic lunch - cheese, crackers, fruit, chocolate bars. Filling their growling stomachs while lounging on the rocks. The sun climbed higher overhead as they chatted easily, recounting amusing stories from work and school.

 The sun climbed higher overhead as they chatted easily, recounting amusing stories from work and school