The Deep Part 1: The Sunken Observatory (by Lady Eckland)

The Descent

The Descent

Dr. Ava Patel checked her diving suit one last time before stepping into the airlock of the submersible. Her heart raced with a mix of excitement and trepidation as she prepared to descend over 1000 meters to the abandoned Sunken Observatory on the seafloor.

"Alright team, comm check. Sound off," came the steady voice of the sub's pilot, Jack Reeves, over the radio.

"Dr. Patel here, I read you loud and clear," Ava replied. Similar responses followed from marine biologist Dr. Ethan Nichols and tech specialist Maya Torres.

"Looks like we're good to go," said Jack. "Beginning our descent now. Next stop, the mysteries of the deep."

As the powerful submersible sank steadily into the inky darkness of the abyss, Ava pondered the enigma they were about to investigate. Five years ago, the state-of-the-art Sunken Observatory, tethered to the seafloor and designed to study the unique ecosystem of the deep ocean, had suddenly gone dark. All 12 scientists aboard had vanished without a trace. No distress calls, no bodies recovered. Just an abandoned ghost lab on the bottom of the sea, filled with questions that Ava and her colleagues were determined to answer.

"I've been studying the original crew's research," said Ethan, his voice crackling slightly over the radio. "They were focused on a species of deep-sea anglerfish discovered in this region. Fascinating stuff - the bioluminescent lure, the extreme sexual dimorphism. I think their work could provide real insight into abyssal life if we recover it."

"Let's just hope we don't meet the same fate they did," Maya muttered. An uneasy silence fell over the radio channel as they each contemplated what terrors could have befallen the Observatory crew.

After 40 minutes of descent through the eternal night of the deep sea, a cluster of shimmering lights appeared below, growing larger as they approached.

"There she is," said Jack. "Still lit up after all these years. Gotta admire that engineering."

The Sunken Observatory was a sprawling structure of interlocking pods and tunnels, anchored to the seafloor 1200 meters down. Its thick glass observation domes peered out into the abyss, while floodlights illuminated the surrounding seabed in a bright halo. It was an incongruously high-tech outpost in one of the most remote, inhospitable environments on Earth.

Jack skillfully maneuvered the sub into the Observatory's docking port, locking the hatches together with a resounding clang that echoed through the superstructure. The team assembled in the airlock, unsealing the inner hatch as pressure equalized with a hiss. 

As the door swung open, Ava's breath caught in her throat. The Observatory's interior was unsettlingly pristine and orderly, as if the occupants had simply stepped away moments ago rather than vanished five years prior. Consoles blinked and hummed with power. A mug of coffee sat on a desk, a thin film of mold across its surface the only hint of the passage of time.