The Terror In The Dark Abyss (by Glenn Riley)

The void of space was unforgiving, a silent expanse that held countless secrets in its dark embrace

The void of space was unforgiving, a silent expanse that held countless secrets in its dark embrace. The crew of the *Artemis* had ventured into this unknown, propelled by the dreams of humanity reaching out to the stars. But dreams turned to nightmares as alarms blared and lights flashed red, signaling a catastrophic failure. The ship was going down.

"Brace for impact!" Captain Eva Langley's voice cut through the chaos, her hands steady at the controls despite the tremors that shook the vessel.

The *Artemis* plunged into the abyssal waters of an uncharted planet, its hull groaning under the pressure of an alien ocean. Darkness enveloped them, a darkness so complete it seemed to swallow the very concept of light.

"We've got to get the distress beacon online," muttered engineer Jonah Reeves, his fingers flying over the console, slick with seawater.

"Never mind the beacon, we need power to the pumps, or we'll be part of this ocean!" retorted Dr. Mia Serrano, her eyes wide with the realization of their predicament.

Outside, something moved in the perpetual night, a presence vast and ancient, drawn to the flickering life within the crippled ship. It brushed against the hull, a whisper of contact that sent shivers through the metal and bone.

"Did you feel that?" whispered navigator Liam Cheng, his voice barely audible over the sound of rushing water.

"It's just the pressure settling," Eva replied, though her heart raced with a primal fear.

But the pressure wasn't settling. It was probing, searching for a way in, as the crew scrambled to repair the damage. The darkness outside pressed against the viewports, and for a moment, they saw it—a shape too massive to comprehend, its form obscured by the depths.

"We are not alone," Mia breathed, her voice a mix of wonder and terror.

The *Artemis* groaned again, louder this time, as if in pain. The crew worked in silence, knowing that the vast ocean around them hid something ancient and malevolent. It was a race against time and the crushing depths, a test of their will to survive against the call of the abyss.

And in the darkness, the ancient presence waited, patient and eternal.

*****