The Pressure Point (by Bella Darkwood)

Jane Cathway gazed out the glass panels of the Intercontinental Deep Sea Tunnel train, marveling at the marine life illuminated by the vehicle's exterior lights

Jane Cathway gazed out the glass panels of the Intercontinental Deep Sea Tunnel train, marveling at the marine life illuminated by the vehicle's exterior lights. Schools of exotic fish and bioluminescent jellyfish drifted past, their graceful movements contrasting with Jane's inner turmoil.

Just days ago, she had finally admitted the truth to her husband Mark—she was gay. The confession had been building for years, a pressure point in their marriage that could no longer be ignored. Mark's shock quickly turned to bitterness and anger. He had accused her of deceiving him, of wasting years of his life. The divorce papers were already being drawn up.

Jane sighed, trying to focus on the once-in-a-lifetime experience of this engineering marvel's maiden voyage rather than her crumbling personal life. She had splurged on a first-class ticket, determined to make the most of this historic trip connecting two continents by the longest underwater train route ever constructed.

Around her, other passengers chatted excitedly, pointing out sea creatures and snapping photos. Many were famous and influential people—tech moguls, politicians, and celebrities. They had all clamored for a spot on this exclusive journey.

Suddenly, the train jolted, metal screeching against metal as it ground to a halt

Suddenly, the train jolted, metal screeching against metal as it ground to a halt. The excited chatter turned to startled yelps and nervous murmurs.

"Ladies and gentlemen, please remain calm," a voice crackled over the intercom. "We are experiencing a temporary malfunction. Our crew is working to resolve the issue. We'll be moving again shortly."

The lights flickered ominously, then went out completely, plunging the train cars into darkness. Panicked cries echoed through the aisles. Jane felt her heart hammer in her chest. Something was very wrong.

Dim emergency lights flickered on, casting eerie shadows along the walls and floor. Outside the glass, strange shapes moved through the water, too fast and fleeting to discern. A deep, primal moan reverberated through the depths, vibrating the train.

"What is that? What's happening?" a woman cried out.

Jane stared out into the abyss, trying to make sense of the darting shadows. They weren't fish or any marine animals she recognized. They were too large, too purposeful in their movements. A sickening realization crept over her.