The Deepest Descent (by Lady Eckland)

The abyss beckoned below as Ana stared into the endless blue

The abyss beckoned below as Ana stared into the endless blue. Gripping the winch cable with white knuckles, she steadied her breathing inside the exosuit. The hiss of oxygen and crackle of radio static filled her ears.

"Ana, this is Captain Marx. Do you read me? Over."

She clicked the radio. "Loud and clear, Captain. Although I'm starting to wish these suits came equipped with rearview mirrors."

His chuckle reverberated in her helmet. "Don't worry. It's just you and a whole lot of seawater for the next six hours. I'll keep an eye on things from up here. Just focus on placing the sensors and try not to think about how you're suspended over the second deepest point in the ocean."

"Gee, thanks," Ana muttered.

She glanced at the digital depth gauge - 1500 meters and descending. Her heartbeat quickened as the winch lowered her into the midnight zone. Dim light filtered down in shimmering beams, illuminating strange creatures drifting past. Bobbing jellies. A gulper eel with a gaping maw. Things with lots of teeth.

The radio crackled again. “I know this isn’t easy, but you’re doing great. The first sensor is coming up in fifty meters. You’ll want to start scanning for a spot on that ledge.”

“Copy,” said Ana, gripping the sensor probe tightly to quell her shaking hand. Focus on the task, she told herself. Once the sensors were placed, she could leave this watery grave.

A loud click echoed through her headset. "What was that?" Ana held motionless, listening.

"Hmm, I didn't hear anything. Could be your suit adjusting to the pressure."

The glowing digits ticked past 2500 meters. A school of vampire squid jetted past in a spiral dance. Their otherworldly blue eyes watched her as they disappeared into the gloom. In the darkness below, a deep groan resonated up through kilometers of water. She peered downward. Nothing but the abyss staring back at her.

“Sensor one location coming into view,” said Marx. “You see that rocky outcropping?”

“Yeah... yeah, I see it.” Ana jetted closer, anchoring herself against the ledge. She began drilling the sensor into place. Another muffled click reverberated inside her helmet. Her eyes scanned the shadows, seeing nothing.

“That should do it,” said Marx as she secured the sensor. “Only two more to go.”

The radio fuzzed with static as Ana descended farther. She tried to ignore her racing heart and the creaks and groans of pressure against her exosuit. At 3000 meters, the darkness was absolute save for her suit lights. In their glow, suspended particles sparkled like glitter. She imagined them microscopic squid and bizarre creatures from the lightless benthic zone.

Another deep click echoed. Ana whipped her head around, peering into miles of black water. "Okay, did you hear that?"

"Still nothing on this end," said Marx. “Are you sure it wasn’t a snapping shrimp or other critter?”