Mega Jaws (mid book finale by Lady Eckland)

Starring both Hannah and Sarah once again from SolesOfWonder

Chapter 1

The ocean stretched out before them, an endless expanse of blue glistening under the scorching African sun. Hannah stood on the deck of the small research vessel, her long brown hair whipping in the warm breeze as she surveyed the horizon. She felt a mixture of anticipation and dread swirling in her stomach.

"There's still time to turn back, you know," she said, glancing over at her diving partner Sarah. "We don't have to do this."

Sarah shook her head, eyes gleaming with determination behind her sunglasses. "We've come too far to give up now. I need answers, Hannah. I have to know the truth about these monster sharks."

Hannah sighed. She knew there was no swaying Sarah once her mind was made up. They had barely survived their terrifying encounter with the Black Demon in the Sea of Cortez over a year ago. The memory of that colossal shark emerging from the gloom still haunted Hannah's nightmares. But rather than being scared off, the experience had only fueled Sarah's obsession. She was convinced that even bigger and more ancient sharks lurked in the ocean depths.

Which is why they now found themselves off the coast of Africa, preparing to dive into the dangerous hunting grounds of great white sharks. Whispers persisted of a legendary creature called Submarine, a megalodon-like monster from the deep past that still stalked these waters. Despite Hannah's reservations, Sarah would not be dissuaded from seeking it out.

"I just have a bad feeling," Hannah said. "These aren't like the reef sharks we usually dive with. The great whites here are massive apex predators. And if the stories are true, and Submarine is real..." She trailed off with a shudder.

Sarah placed a reassuring hand on her shoulder. "That's why we've got the Primal X cage. It's built to withstand anything the ocean can throw at us. We'll be safe inside."

Hannah eyed the specialized diving cage dubiously. It was a huge spherical contraption of reinforced stainless steel and shatterproof glass. Bristling with cameras, lights, and propulsion jets, it looked like something out of a science fiction movie. She had to admit it was an impressive piece of equipment, designed specifically for diving in extreme conditions and observing dangerous marine life up close. But still...

"I don't know, Sarah. Something about willingly lowering ourselves into shark-infested waters in an oversized hamster ball just doesn't sit right with me."

Sarah flashed her a smile. "Where's your sense of adventure? Just think, we could be the first to film a living megalodon! We'll be diving legends."

"If we live to tell about it," Hannah muttered. 

The boat engine throttled down as the captain guided them over the dive site. Fifty miles off the coast, the ocean floor dropped away into an abyssal trench over two miles deep. Hannah peered over the rail into the dark water. She had a hard time believing anything could live down in those sunless depths, megalodon or otherwise. It seemed too cold, too crushing, too hostile to life.