46 - love is in the air

Kate

(irl + social media)

Valentine's Day had always been a day of grand gestures and public declarations, but this year, it was the quiet intimacy of my living room that held all the magic.

Charlotte and I had decided to skip out on the crowded restaurants for something more us, which was cuddling on the couch, a marathon of our favorite cute movies playing as we laughed and shared a bowl of popcorn.

The room was softly lit, the glow from the TV casting dancing shadows as we watched. I had planned a simple surprise, nothing too over the top, just heartfelt. During the second movie, I excused myself, my heart pounding with a mix of excitement and nerves.

I returned with my arms full, a bouquet of her favorite flowers in one hand and a giant teddy bear tucked under the other. Charlotte's eyes lit up, the kind of joy that fills a room, and I knew then that these simple tokens were perfect.

As the evening wore on, the words "I love you" were eating me alive, a confession begging to be freed. I had rehearsed the moment in my mind a hundred times, but now, with her head resting on my shoulder, the moment felt right. My heart raced, a silent beat threatening to break free. I wanted to say it, to let those words bridge the gap between feeling and reality, but fear held them captive.

I glanced at her, her eyes reflecting the soft light, and I felt the words rise again, a tide that couldn't be held back. But as the movie drew to a close, they remained just out of reach, three little words with the weight of the world, waiting for the perfect moment to be set free.

Charlotte got up and brought the bowl of popcorn to the sink.

I followed her, standing right behind her.

She turned to face me. "What?" She questioned.

I just pulled her into a tight hug.

The words just slipped out, "I really fucking love you." I said.

Charlotte pulled away from the hug and looked me straight into the eyes.

"I love you too." Charlotte whispered.

"I think I love you more than basketball." I said.

"You think?" Charlotte asked.

"I know." I said.

Instagram

12,444 likescharlotteobrien love letters from kate martin

12,444 likes
charlotteobrien love letters from kate martin

comments:

katemartin03 love you❤️❤️
charlotteobrien LOVE YOU.

anniehawke SO CUTE OMG
(liked by charlotteobrien)

caitlinclark22 i didn't even have to help kate with the gifts this time
charlotteobrien wow im proud of her

parker.riley omfg i love u guys
(liked by charlotteobrien)

jadagyamfi awwwwwww
(liked by charlotteobrien)

kyliefeuerbach did kate finally say it
charlotteobrien SHE DID

reeseobrien your first good valentine's day aw
charlotteobrien bruh stfu

author's note
short but sweet i guess
#iloveyou!!!!