XVII - The Battle in the Desert

The space battlecruiser commanded by Captain Fizard left the sea in the coastal area of the Gulf of Mexico. They were still far from Star Hunter ship, but they wasted no time. From their hangar, they released other smaller ships, guided by the master computers of the command room. There were seven scouting ships that could get to their target faster. There were still other attack ships stationed in the hangar, in case they failed. While Fizard left the Atlantic coast and crossed all of North America to reach California, hundreds of miles from there the battleships had already entered the territory of Texas, shortly to reach Merko's ship.

"Attention Lieutenant Warky, attack the enemy with all we've got. In the area where Merko is, there are no humans. Use full force to finish him and his ship. Destroy them!"

"Yes, sir Commander! Understood." Answered the officer who coordinated the action.

One robot was positioned inside Captain Fizard's ship, ready for the attack, while the other was chasing Merko's ship. The latter sent a signal to the others, passing on the correct coordinates of Star Hunter. Fizard concluded that certainly Merko would be commanding the ship and ordered the robot to start attacking with its powerful cannons.

The robot began to approach the enemy spacecraft, taking the Arizona desert as a combat scenario. The ship jolted when it was hit by the iridium giant's first rocket.

For it not to be destroyed, Star Hunter ship made a sudden shunt to escape the enemy. Nicholas held himself as he could, feeling his stomach twist. The captain, then, gave the order:

"Z8, concentrate the laser cannons on the robot."

"Weapons ready, sir."

"Now. Fire!"

Z8 fired a green beam right into the middle of the luminous eyes of the metal monster. He felt the impact of the ship's firing, crashing into the desert floor with a great bang. It laid there for some time. Merko looked at him through the hatch that occupied almost the entire wall of the command room and saw its grotesque silhouette stretched out on the floor.

He tried to restrain himself from vibrating with that victory. He didn't know if the robot had already been defeated.

***

Meanwhile, Zara left her mother-in-law, her daughter Helen and Sophia at Lorena's great-aunt's house, far from the conflict.

"Mother, why do you have to go? Stay here with us."

"Darling, I need to help your father and grandfather. I'm a doctor and I have to be at their side if anything happens..."

"Take care Zara!" Lorena said, worried.

"I will, Lorena."

Zara hugged Helen and kissed her forehead. Then she said goodbye to Lorena and Sophia and set out for battle.

After leaving them in safety, she walked into a nearby diner and went to the bathroom. Noticing that no one was around, she pressed a button on her bracelet on her left wrist and teleported into ship Star Hunter to help the others in battle. She materialized on the command bridge while it was trembling, recovering from the robot's attacks. Zara held to the command armchairs until the ship stabilized. From the glass that reflected the sandy landscape of the desert, she saw, terrified, a giant robot rising.

Inside the ship, she received an order from Captain Merko:

"Zara, you pilot the ship while me and Nicholas go down to face this robot. Soon the other ships will appear to attack us. So, I ask you to monitor everything through the radar and let us know when any trace of the enemy approaches."