Chapter Six

Hailey

I had a surprisingly uneventful rest of the day. Nathan wasn't in any more of my classes, thank God, and the one time I'd seen him in the hall, he'd turned away, looking scared.

Thinking back on that, it may have been because Will followed me around the rest of the day. It wasn't totally obvious, but he was always one or two people behind me.

I don't know why, but it made me feel so safe. I should have felt the opposite. I mean, this was Will Williams we were talking about. He wasn't exactly the "safest" person out there. The rumours about him... Fights, drinking, drugs, drag racing... It was enough that it should have made me want to stay away from him for eternity. But I didn't. I wanted to be closer to him, to stay by his side in a safe little bubble for eternity.

I shook my head. Where did that come from? God, I must be overtired. That had to be it. Because in a good mental state, I would never be wanting Will Williams.

-

I got home around three. "Hello?" I called as I stepped inside.

"Is that you, sweetie?"

"Yeah, it's me, Mom."

Marnie stepped out of the kitchen and smiled. "How was your day?"

"Long." I debated telling her about Nathan, but her and Steve didn't need an unnecessary scare. My past was something that didn't need to touch them.

She gave a small laugh. "Well, if you want a cookie and some detoxing, I've got a fresh batch in the oven."

I smiled. "Thanks. That sounds great."

I dropped my bag on my hook in the kitchen and sat down on my stool at the island. I watched Marnie take the cookies pit of the oven. She was the best. If you'd told me five years ago that something would happen that would get me out of Chicago, I would have laughed and gone back to my cigarette or whatever I was on at the time, wallowing in self-pity and hatred.

I was so glad I'd gotten out. Every night I thanked whoever up there had been looking out for me that I'd been saved from that becoming my life. I'd been give a family. And I couldn't be more grateful.

Marnie set a plate of cookies and a glass of milk in the middle of the counter, between the two of us. "Now," she began, "tell me what happened."

This was what I loved about Marnie. She could read me like we shared blood. I sighed.

"Nathan Strong."

Speaking that name brought up Marnie's guard and put determination mixed with fear into her pretty brown eyes. "He's here?"

"Yes. He's in my first period class and I don't think he's forgotten me."

"Oh, honey." Marnie came around to my side of the island and wrapped her arms around me. She knew only too well about Nathan. He'd been the cause of many nightmares that left me screaming in the middle of the night when I'd first moved in with her and Steve.

I took a deep breath. She smelled like cookies and fabric softener. It made me feel just as safe as I had with Will following me around today.

"Do you want to switch classes? It's not too late and I'm sure the school would let you without a problem."

"No," I said. "That would let him win."

"You're right. But I don't like it. He's hurt you so much, Hailey. You shouldn't put yourself through Hell because of him again."

"I think I'll be okay. Maybe you could just let my teacher know?"

"Sure. We'll have a meeting with her first thing tomorrow morning. But you need to tell us if something happens. That boy has no reason to be back in your life."

For some reason, I knew I was telling the truth when I said I'd be okay. I had a feeling that Will Williams following me around wasn't a one-time thing.

"I will. I promise."

In the four years I'd been part of their family, Marnie and Steve had always helped me fight my demons, had listened and given me space when I needed it, and had been the biggest rocks in my life. If they were by my side, I knew I could get through this year.

Will

I was still stewing about that little shit when I got home after football practice that night. I'd followed Hailey around the rest of the day, just to make sure he didn't go near her. Seeing his deer-in-the-headlights look when I'd passed him just before fifth period had been pretty gratifying. If he was that scared, I didn't think he'd go near Hailey.

But I wasn't taking any chances.

"Will!"

My thoughts left me and the anger melted away. "Hey Mallory."

My little sister had been a surprise. When I was six and being told I'd have a sister, I wasn't too happy. I actually camped out in the backyard for a week to protest. When she was born, I'd ignored her for the first few years. When she was four, though, she'd wiggled her way into my heart when she brought home a drawing about her favourite person in the world.

It had been me.

I wouldn't trade Mallory for the world.

"Guess what?"

"What?"

"Beau and Ashton went to the beach!" She squealed.

"Did he tell her he loved her yet?"

"No, but I think it's coming."

"Good. He's been loving her for years. It's time for him to tell her."

"Yeah!"

Just to clarify: I do not read romance novels. Mallory tells me about them and I remember everything. So there.

"Hey Mal?"

"Yeah?"

I hesitated. My sister was the compendium for romantic advice, but I wasn't sure if I wanted to admit to anyone that I liked Hailey yet. Hell, I didn't want to admit it to myself.

"Never mind."

Mallory's big brown eyes squinted and roved over my face. Then her entire face brightened. "You have a crush! Finally!"

"How could you tell?" I was stunned.

"You're my brother. Duh."

"Oh, right. I knew there was a reason." I plunked down on the couch beside her. "What now?"

"I can't tell you if I haven't met the girl. The characters need to be analyzed and figured out. This isn't a quick fix, Will. Besides, what do you need to know?"

"Hang on a minute."

I crossed the room to the bookshelf and pulled off my yearbook from last year. I flipped to grade eleven, then looked for "Martin". I found Hailey, grinning up at me from the photo. Her hazel eyes twinkled and held secrets that I only now noticed.

"Here." I pointed to her picture. "That's her. All I need to know is why I like her."

"That's easy. Look at her. She looks so sad and a little lost. But she's trying to hide it. Ergo, you've seen that and it's your protective side coming out." She turned her head to look at me. "And something happened today. What?"

"I-I'll tell you another time. Thanks Mal."

"...Sure thing."

I left the living room and went up to my room.

Mallory had hit the nail on the head.

Damn protectiveness.