Chapter Eighteen

Logged in today and saw 50 reads! Thanks guys!
________________________

Hailey

On Monday, no one came near me. Will sat next to me in first period, even in fourth even though Nathan wasn't in that class with us. We chatted and laughed and had a grand old time. I had a feeling that I was seeing a side of Will that few ever had.

I didn't see Nathan at all on Tuesday, which I was grateful for.

And the rest of the week passed by uneventfully. Will and I spent hours in my room, working on our Shakespeare project. We went over to his house a couple times too. I met his little sister, Mallory, and fell in love with her immediately. One thing was for sure: Romeo and Juliet sure we're some messed-up people, but the kind you couldn't help but cheer for.

A week later, Nathan was back.

With a vengeance.

-

I walked out the doors to the school and onto the street. The sun hit my skin, warm summer air still hanging on though autumn was coming soon. I'd decided to enjoy the weather while it lasted. Will had a football meeting today, and he and Jordan and Blake were tied up with that. I didn't mind, though I enjoyed their company. I hadn't had that many friends for a really long time. In Chicago, when my dad left, my mom and I moved and I fell in with a crowd of less-than-sincere people. Included in that group was Nathan Strong. When I'd moved in with Marnie and Steve, I had kept to myself a lot, Chicago and the mistakes I'd made still fresh in my mind. After a while, I'd come to prefer it. I played my music at lunch and focused on my grades, praying that I could just hang on and make it to college.

Now, friends were nice. I had people to lean on and joke around with and tell stories and rant to. I was having more fun than I ever had.

"What's got that pretty little smile on your face?"

No.

My heart started pounding, kicking into overdrive from fear.

"Not you," I replied, managing to keep my voice steady as I drew on my tricks from Chicago.

"Aw, princess, I know you don't mean that."

I didn't credit that with a response, and walked away from Nathan.

"Don't you walk away from me." A hard edge crept into his tone, and I turned to face him. I saw the cold and menace in his glare, the fuzziness that came from drugs.

He was always dangerous when he was high. More so than when he was sober.

"What exactly do you want from me, Nathan?"

"Oh, princess. You know what I want. I'm here to make good on my promise. You remember that, don't you?"

I did. But he didn't need me to say that. I was sure he could tell from the fear in my eyes. A flash of triumph in his own icy blue ones told me I was right.

I saw figures coming out of the corner of my eye. Shit. I hadn't expected a following so quickly.

I guess I should have.

"Now, princess, just stay still and don't scream. You remember what happens when you scream, don't you?" He took out a switchblade from his jacket pocket and twirled it around, the blade glinting in the sun. He stepped closer and leaned down to whisper in my ear, "I'll run this pretty little blade all over your body." And with that, he stepped back and let his men take me.

Will

Coach had us in the meeting all lunch. When I got out, I saw Mallory waving at me frantically, calling, "Will!"

"Mallory?" I was confused. "What are you doing here?"

"It's our lunch break. Please tell me you know where Hailey is."

"Yeah, she was going to meet us back at our lockers after she went to the coffee shop for a smoothie."

"No, no, no!" Mallory mumbled.

"Mal, what's wrong?"

"I saw her half an hour ago, outside. This guy followed her out and had a bunch of other guys surrounding her. I was coming to meet up with you guys for lunch over the break. They took her." Tears of fright welled in Mallory's eyes.

Guys surrounding her...

Guy followed her out...

Shit.

Goddamn shit.

I was almost positive I knew who Mallory was talking about. And I was almost positive he wasn't ever going to walk free again.

-

After explaining the situation to Jordan and Blake, we piled into my truck and sped off. Mallory had stayed behind. I couldn't involve her in this. I looked around town, trying to figure out where she was. Where would he have taken her? I didn't know. I just didn't know.

All of a sudden, my phone rang.

I answered immediately, not even checking the caller ID. If it was Hailey, I couldn't waste precious time. "Hello?"

"Will Williams."

I knew that voice.

"Nathan Strong."

That bastard was a dead man.