Chapter Two (Edited)

Hailey

All through the rest of the day, I kept looking over my shoulder, expecting Will or a bunch of his cronies to come up to me and make me regret talking back to him this morning. But none did. Honestly, I was amazed. Talking back to the school's bad boy was not something you got away with.

Finally, I decided to put it out of my mind. The likes of him wasn't worth my worry.

The rest of the day passed pretty quickly, and before I knew it another first day of school was over. It was everything I had expected - with the exception of running into Will Williams and having a sort-of conversation with him.

When I got home, I was greeted with silence. My mom wouldn't be home until five, and my two oldest brothers were away at school. Amazingly, I had the house to myself for the next couple of hours.

Fifteen minutes later, snuggled in front of the TV watching White House Down, I heard a knock on the door. I got up and looked through the peephole, to find none other than Will Williams staring cockily back at the door, as if he knew I was there looking.

Fudgesicles.

Don't open the door, Hailey.

If you don't he'll just stay there.

Unfortunately, I knew that this was true. What Will Williams wanted, Will Williams got.

Reluctantly, I opened the door.

"Hello, Hailey. So nice to see you again." Sarcasm dripped from his words. He had a pair of aviators in his hands. The charming smile that reduced girls to giggling fits was plastered on his face as he looked down at me.

"How did you find out where I live?" I demanded. It wasn't as if my address was common knowledge or something that I gave out readily.

He shrugged. "I have my sources."

I rolled my eyes at his cryptic response. Maybe I should be afraid of this guy, but for some reason I wasn't. Exactly. "What do you want?"

"Oh, nothing. Just ah-" he bent down to my ear, warm breath skimming over my face. The smell of laundry detergent and deodorant was intoxicating. Like summer and clothes drying on the line in a salty ocean breeze. "-don't even think about messing with me, Martin."

"Wasn't planning on it, Williams." He started to speak again, but I cut him off. "And it looks like you're messing with me, not the other way around."

He grinned. The devil fucking grinned. What game was he playing? He let out a long, slow chuckle. "Watch your back, Martin." He slipped his aviators back on and stepped backward off of my front step. He turned and left just as abruptly as he'd come, flashing a devilish grin at me as he got in his car and backed out of my driveway.

Lord have mercy.

What had I gotten myself into?

Will

Sometimes I didn't like the role, but it was one I played well.

In school, I was the hotshot hockey player who didn't give a fuck about anything or anyone. Bad to the fucking bone, that was me.

But it burned my ass when the girl with the prettiest green eyes I'd ever seen wouldn't give me the time of day because of my reputation.

Not that my being an asshole helped my case.

I just didn't know how to be a good guy.

Not anymore, anyway.