Steve's (Sebastian's) P.O.V - Safe

Steve’s (Sebastian's) P.O.V

Looking at Skyla, I saw that she was on the verge of crying. I didn’t like the expression drawn across her perfect face. All her sadness did was weighing down my heart; I knew then that I needed to make her happy. Yet, I knew with every fiber of my being that I couldn’t make her happy because she was about to be even more anger with me.

Inhaling, I prepared myself to see the fire ignite in her eyes. “Skyla ... you can’t leave this house. You can’t talk to any of your friends or family. No interaction whatsoever with the outside world. You are not to leave this room unless accompanied by Daniel, Gage, Dean or I. Understood?”

Skyla stood as stiff as a tree as she allowed what I said to sink it. I watched as her eyes melted from sadness, to confusion, before finally settling on the one emotion I had been preparing myself to see: outrage. “Excuse me?!”

“You heard me,” I replied in a nonchalant voice. I’d hoped it would ease the situation if I acted as if this was all nothing. Yet, I knew the moment the words left my mouth the way that they did that it was a mistake.

“I heard you, but I’m just trying to think back to the exact moment you became the boss of me.”

“I’m not your boss, Skyla. I am simply a guy that is so in love with you and will accept your anger towards me as long as you are safe.”

“Safe? What make you think I’m safe if I am here?”

“I have the best security team in the nation. Have eyes, practically, everywhere, hence why you were extracted from the rink.”

“Extracted? What is that suppose to mean.”

“Skyla, I love your innocence but I think you should be more aware of who you surround yourself with.”

“What is that suppose to mean?”

“It has come to my attention that you are in contact with a young man named Griffin-”

“Have you been spying on me?” Skyla asked with pure shock cascading its way onto her facial features.

“Well, I had to after-”

Marching up to me, I saw Skyla’s blue orbs swirling with heated fury. “You will never comprehend how much I want to hit you right now. You have no right to spy on my life!-”

“Skyla, you are in danger! He is coming for you; you and I both know that. Now, I on one hand am not going to let you hang around men you barely know and set yourself up for a trap that Jack has clearly planted out for you-”

Skyla placed both her hand in her hair and acted as if she was going to rip her hair out as she screamed in frustration. Moving her arms back to her side I saw her face was flushed red from anger. “What the hell are you talking about?”

“Griffin! That is who I’m talking about! You have no idea who he is!”

“Oh, yeah! Who is he?”

I composed myself as I felt my patience for Skyla was wearing thin. “That is the thing, Skyla. I don’t know who he is. He has no school records, no job history -- besides at Harvey Coffee and he just randomly shows up on their history log a few weeks ago. No application was applied and put on records for him. He is a ghost with no Social Security number or any official government documents.”

“What are you saying?”

“I’m saying that there is no Griffin-”

“I don’t believe you,” Skyla quickly said as she cut me off.

Shoving my hands in the pockets of my jeans, I shrugged my shoulders. “That is the thing, Skyla, you don’t have to believe me. But if you want another reason as to why I’m not letting you leave my sight, how about this … Gage informed me that you didn’t fight him when he tried to kidnap you. He actually said you were very willing to come with him. Why is that Skyla? You had to think it was Jack kidnapping you. Why is it that you didn’t fight?! This is your life we are talking about here! Not some piece of plastic in the wind…” Skyla looked at me and I knew that she wasn’t going to say a word to me. Sighing, I rocked from the balls of my feet to my heels for a second. “You might have given up, but I damn sure won’t … Now, I will send someone to get you some food in about an hour. Anything in particular you want?”

“I want you dead. I don’t think you understand how much I hate your right now! You will not get away with holding me captive here! I’m human, Sebastian.”

Looking at her, I smiled even brighter. “So am I Skyla. I’m human; I’m a man -- selfish man at that. So selfish that you can mark my words when I say you are not leaving this house unless I permit it. Please, don’t test me,” I firmly told her before walking out of the room and locking the door behind me.

Striding into the kitchen, I saw Daniel leaning against a counter with a glass of orange juice in hand. “You can’t do this, Seb. You are going to make her hate you and she will try to leave here. I might even help her...” he trailed off.

“First off, she already hates me. So, that is not my concern anymore. Secondly, I think she knows not to leave here. I think I made that clear. Last but most certainly not least, if you dare lend a helping hand to help her leave here, I will make sure your dad knows what you did last Christmas.”

Staring down at his orange drink, Daniel sighed. “Seb. This is not right. She is a girl who is in the midst of a school year. Keeping her here will drive her crazy.”

“Then what do you suggest I do, Daniel? She is wanted by the son of one of the most renowned drug lords. I can’t let her skip around, blindsided and so fucking naive. You know, she hangs with people she doesn’t even know and acts like she’s known them for years. The girl is so oblivious to the dangers of the world!”

“I don’t think she is oblivious, Seb., I just think she has been through Hell. Her naive behaviors stem from her mind wanting to suppress all that has happened in her life. Now, I‘m not sure what exactly Skyla has been through ... but I think you and I already know that she has had to grow up way too fast in her lifetime. She hasn’t really had a childhood-”

“No matter why she is the way she is, Daniel, she’s a threat to her own self. I will not allow myself to just idle by while she basically throws herself out there for Jack Linen. She can hate me, you can't hate me -- The whole world can hate me, that is fine ... As long as that girl in the next room is safe ... I really don’t give a flying fly what everyone feels or thinks.”

A clapping noise permeated the air around me. Looking to my side, I saw Dean walk in with a grin. “Nice speech, Bro. Real tear-jerker. Now, since you’re done making a sob story for the world, how about we come up with a plan...”

“Huh?” I questioned.

“A plan -- a plan to kill Jack Linen...”