Chapter Five: (Picture ofJames) Caesar and Claire

Chapter Five:

Caesar and Claire
(Picture of James to the side)

"I can't believe it."

"Me neither."

"It's June, though."

"That's not stopping the clouds."

James and I are sitting in his truck, in the middle of an abandoned parking lot. Rain's pouring down above us, and his windshield wipers are lazily dancing across the glass. It's been about two weeks since James took me to go see Thor, and we've been meeting up almost every day since. Over the time we've spent together, though it's been incredibly short, I've noticed a few things.

He doesn't care about my older siblings. He and Liam are great friends, and he's noted Elaine in passing, now that she's home for a few weeks. I'm still surprised, though, from his first encounter with Kara. I don't really know what I was expecting. Maybe James would immediately leave my side on the couch and start making out with Kara then give me the bird and the happy couple would go frolic in the sunset?

Good thing that wasn't even close to how it went.

  ~ 6 Days Ago ~

"I know this whole movie by heart." James said. We were both sitting on the couch, our feet kicked up on the coffee table, and a bowl of popcorn, drowned in salt and butter, was between us.

Earlier, I'd asked if he wanted to come over and watch a movie or listen to music or something. I'd been pleased when after watching Thor, he'd played a CD of some of his favorite songs, and we had a huge argument over who was better. He'd argued Train was, while I insisted Lana Del Rey was queen.

"No you don't," I shook my head. I focused my attention on the screen. We were watching "The Sixth Sense," and Cole was in school, with his teacher blabbing. I'd felt a tap on my shoulder, and turned to look at James, who had begun chucking pieces of damp popcorn at my face. I swatted at him, but he grabbed my hand.

"Philadelphia is one of the oldest cities in this country." He started.

"What are you—" James slapped his palm over my mouth, and clutched my fingers tightly in his other hand as he continued.

"A lot of generations have lived here and died here. Almost any place you go in this city has a history and a story behind it. Even this school and the grounds it sits on. Can anyone guess what this building was used for a hundred years ago, before you went to this school, before I went to this school? Yes, Cole?"

James changed his tone to an octave higher and went on, "They used to hang people here."

Back to teacher voice: "No, uh, that, mm-mm, that's not correct. Uh, where'd you here that?"

"They'd pull the people in, crying and kissing their families 'bye. People watching would spit at them."

"Uh, Cole, this, this building was a legal courthouse. Laws were passed here, Some of the very first laws of this country. This whole building was full of, uh, lawyers, uh, lawmakers."

"They were the ones that hanged everybody."

When James finished his monologue, he lowered his hand and I burst out laughing, "Holy crap, how many times have you seen this?"