Chapter Six: (Picture of Kara) Returning Sisters and a Birthday Gone Wrong

Chapter Six:

Returning Sisters and a Birthday Gone Wrong

(Picture of Kara to the Side)

I wake up to screaming.

The minute my eyes open, I know exactly what was going on, and jump out of bed. Kara is sitting up, looking scared, but follows me out.

The screaming sounds terrifying, and I can hear the thumping of kicking. My heart races, but I run into Danny's room as fast as I could.

"NO! NO! GO AWAY!" I throw the door open, and rush to Daniel's side, and Kara turns on the light. For a brief moment, I glance around and see that Liam is not in the room and wonder where he is, but I know I have more important matters at hand than wondering where my big brother went.

I lean down by my thrashing brother's side, and set one hand on his stomach, one hand on his forehead, "It's okay, Danny," I say in my most soothing voice possible.

"No, no," he says in a warbling voice, "no."

Finally, he sits up, "I'm okay," Danny says, "I'm okay. God, I didn't think that'd happen to me again."

"It's alright," I rub his back soothingly. I see tears in my little brother's eyes, and his face is flushed. I turn to Kara, "Get me a cold, damp washcloth, would you?"

My twin nods, and rushes out of the room.

I hear someone come in, and see Mom in her thin robe. Her hair's tied up in a tight bun atop her head, and her eyes have dark circles under them. It's at these moments that I love my mom best. When she acts like an actual mom and not busying around like a good church wife/neurosurgeon.

"Another night terror?" She asks, kneeling beside me, and running her fingers through Danny's hair. He nods and sniffs.

Kara comes in with a washcloth, and I press it against his face. Mom's practicing the usual breathing exercises with him, and I wonder what happened. What made tonight an exception. He hasn't had night terrors since he was ten, but now...we just don't know.

I glance at the alarm clock and see it's almost 2AM.

"So, what should we watch tonight?" Mom asks. I shrug. When Danny was little, we'd stay up and watch a movie with him until he fell asleep, and he was usually good for the night.

"Spiderman?" Danny suggests.

We all nod in agreement. Pretty soon, we're all squished together on Danny's bed, watching an old Spiderman movie on his box of a television. Halfway through the movie, Kara's nodding off, and so is Danny, so Kara goes back to our bedroom to sleep.

"I don't think I can fall back asleep," I whisper to Mom.

"Yeah?" She yawns, "Well, maybe you can work on some of your stuff for Minnesota State. I'm gonna go to bed, though." She gives me a tired smile, and we both get off Danny's bed.

She heads back to her room, but I suddenly have a craving for mini powdered donuts, so I grab my keys, flip flops, and wallet, then head out the door. I open up my Jeep, and back out of the driveway, hooking a left down Longfellow Avenue, and head into town.

Ten minutes later, I'm sitting in my Jeep, eating donuts, sipping coffee, and people-watching. A bunch of people are coming out of Wal-Mart though it's 3AM, and I laugh at some ridiculous-looking people.

That is, until my eyes flicker to a certain couple standing at the doors. I squint, and lean forward, trying to name the familiar guy and girl. They start making out and I let out a gasp.