Chapter Fourteen: Consoling Siblings and James's View

Chapter Fourteen
Consoling Siblings and James's View

There is a time and a place for everything, but oh how I wish this time and place hadn't come so soon.

I was just mindlessly watching some TV, trying to distract myself from all this new information I'd harnessed about my ex-boyfriend. Ex? Had I really broken up with him? Had he broken up with me? Well kind of. We weren't together. That was all that mattered.

Nevertheless, my mind wandered to where it all started. The church. The Festival. The First Kiss.

And somehow I got to thinking about Kara.

Kara, of all people!

And as I sat there, eating an oversized bowl of popcorn and watching Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist, I realized that before I made up with a man who I'd known for barely over two months, I first needed to make up with a girl who I've known since the womb.

And so, with a heavy heart, I rose from the couch and ventured upstairs to Elaine.

Mom and Dad were gone, saying they had a couple's day out (which was really couple's therapy. They hadn't been getting along since their "perfect child" revealed she was actually human and capable of making mistakes). Liam was out with Sadie (who I'd thankfully previously made up with and planned to go see the last Harry Potter movie with in a few days. Midnight premiere, all the way), Steph was out with some friends, as was Daniel (due to his blush and singular friend, I assumed he was going out on a date), which left only myself, Elaine, and Christian in the house.

As entered Elaine and Christian's room, I started thinking about backing out of the idea to see Kara. But, alas, my conscience won the inevitable failed argument and I pushed the door open.

Elaine and her fiancé were snuggled on the double bed, watching what looked like some horror movie. Not just any horror movie.

The Sixth Sense.

I froze, and immediately though of James and his recitation of the classroom scene. Before I could collapse, Elaine looked over and sensed I was having a rough time, She got up from Christian's embrace and grabbed onto my shoulders.

"Hey, hey, Tara. You're okay. What's up, baby sis?" She rubbed my arms soothingly as the bile in my throat settled.

"Um, I-I just wanted to know where Kara was." I replied, setting my hand over my stomach.

"Like her address?"

"Yeah."

"Give me one sec, I have it on my phone." Elaine turns to Christian and grabs her phone from his grasp. He grins at her goofily and she's smiling when she turns back to me. They're such an adorable couple.

"78 Croatian Lane, Apartment 91. It's about a half hour drive from here. Do you want me to send you the address?" She asked.

"Yeah. Thanks. Do you want me to tell her anything?" I asked, my hand hovering above the door knob.

"No. I think she just needs to hear from you." Elaine admitted, settling back on the bed with Christian.

And with that statement in mind, I left downstairs, grabbed my keys, and headed out.

I stand in front of apartment 91, nervously twisting my fingers.