Chapter Sixteen

My Husband's Lover
Nhica Moico

Girl, understand why
See it's burning me to hold onto this

I know this is something I gotta do
But that don't mean I want to
What I'm trying to say is that I-love-you I just
I feel like this is coming to an end
And its better for me to let it go now than hold on and hurt you
I gotta let it burn
Burn, Usher

Chapter Sixteen

We parked by the hospital’s car park, and I hopped out quickly. Ash trailed behind me, we took the elevator and my fingers made a quick work on the button and we were gliding up.

It felt forever to get there, the smell of the hospital struck my nose so hard that I tried not to gag. I hated hospitals since I was young, and still now, I wasn’t very fond of them.

I rushed to the receptionist and asked for Jace’s room, “He’s at room B18, only family members are allowed” the nurse said.

“I’m his wife” I said, breathless from the running.

The lady gave me an once-over but this time, I didn’t care. All I cared about right is getting to Jace.

“Is that left or right?” I asked, looking at the nurse intently.

“To the right, and take a turn. You’ll see his room quietly easily.”

“Thank you” I strode to the hallway and through the room.

Ashley and I walked inside, Jace’s parents and mine were there staring at my husband.

“Dad,” I ran to my dad, and I felt his arms surrounded me.

The tears welled up my eyes, overwhelming me. My dad’s arms tightened around me and I cried harder.

I cried for Jace, for our parents and especially for me. “It’s going to be alright, jelly bean” he murmured.

When I have no more tears to cry, I withdrew from my father’s embrace and walked over to Jace. He slept soundlessly, the sound of the monitor beside him consumed me.

He had a few bruises on his arm, and two on his face. I stood there feeling helpless, staring down at Jace.

I reached a hand out and touched his forehead, “What happened?” I asked, directing my question to everyone.

“He had a car crash, someone bumped his car from behind” Mr Johnson, replied.

“How bad is he hurt?” I asked, looking at my mother.

She smiled warmly at me, understanding. “Not bad, he has a few bruises but we don’t know when he’s going to wake up”

My heart clenched, a hand gripped my shoulder. I looked behind me, and Vincent stood by Ashley. I smiled sadly, and came back to staring at Jace. He looked peaceful, more relaxed than I had ever seen him before.

The doctor with greying bald head came in, holding a clipboard on his hand. “You must be the wife, I presume?” he asked, and take a looked at his clipboard.

He said the words carefully and gently, and gave me a sympathetic look. I forgot everyone at the room, just simply stared at my rigid husband.

“Yes” I whispered, and didn’t look at the doctor.

“How about a quick word, Mrs Johnson? I wanted to discuss a few things with you” he led me outside and I nodded, and followed him outside.

We sat down on the bench out in the hallway, the doctor sighed and took his glasses off.