Chapter Nineteen

My Husband's Lover
Nhica Moico

Treasure, that is what you are
Honey, you're my golden star
You know you can make my wish come true
If you let me treasure you
Treasure, Bruno Mars

Chapter Nineteen

 “What are you guys working on….?” Ashley trailed, looking at the books scattered all around the floor.

 I looked up and said, “Biology”

“Oh, sure you are” she teased.

I frowned, not getting what she was joking about. I closed the workbook I was working on and, gave her a funny look.

“What are you talking about?” I asked.

“I’ll tell you later” she promised. She sat down beside Vincent and started talking about how biology was so boring and that she thinks that she needed a tutor.

 I watched them, closely. A happy smile twitching at the corner of my mouth, I didn’t know why I was feeling this way but I was. Examining Vincent and Ashley, I realized that there was that great chemistry between them. 

 I wish that Jace and I had that sort of chemistry, not him hating me all the time. I sighed, happy for my friends. Jace and I continued not to talk, well, he chose not to talk to me though. I didn’t want to make him angry so I stayed out of his way whenever I could and, tried to homework or go to Ashley’s place after school so that he didn’t need to see me.

Every night he continued to go out, but I didn’t know with who. At first, I thought it was Jordan but there was something mysterious about those two at the moment. I never saw Jace and Jordan anymore, he never seemed to talk in the phone or bring her home. I was glad for a few weeks, but then something had been nagging me. Jace seemed not to be himself lately, which had worried me a lot.

I didn’t want to ask him because I knew that he will just yell at me and told me to go away. And I was left with nobody to ask about what happened to him and Jordan. And an idea came to the surface, I closed the book I was working on for the second time and turned to Vincent and Ashley.

“Do you guys see Jordan and Jace much?” I asked, curious.

“Nope” Ashley said, popping the P. “Why?”

I shook my head, and prevented myself from spilling all the thoughts I wanted to say to her. I went back to my homework when my phone started ringing. I took it out of my pocket, and stared at the caller ID. It was Sam, Jace’s cousin.

“Hello?” I said, shutting the door close behind me.

“Amy?” she squealed. I frowned, thinking what she was on about.

“Sam?”

“Yeah. I’m having a girl emergency right now, and needed someone to come with me shopping. Jace didn’t want to, he’s lazing around the house but he refused to come with me”

I nearly giggled at the thought of Jace shopping with Sam, sure, they get along fine but Sam could be a pain in the butt sometimes. I agreed to let her pick me up, in about five minutes. Shaking my head, I went inside to grab my stuff and walked on my friends laughing at something.

“What are you guys laughing about?” I asked.

Vincent who was hysterical, said “This—“ he pointed on the newspaper and saw an old man wearing a grey suit with greying hair. He had looked familiar, and then something had come to me, he was the man I saw in TV. He was the one talking about how Jace’s company will go down if they didn’t do anything about it. I wonder if it was actually in crisis. After all, it was the only reason why I married him. But you love him, too.

I shook the thought aside, and grabbed my stuff. My friends didn’t seemed to have noticed because they were too engorged to what they were doing. I left with a smile lingering on my face, and met with Sam downstairs.

As the only child of Jace’s uncle and auntie, she pretty much get whatever she wanted. She was wearing on those designer clothes, and it looked great on her.

I waved, and she hugged me tightly. She had told me once that I was like her sister, since she didn’t have one. I grew up with her and Jace, but I spent most of my childhood trailing around Alex since we were kids. People never seemed to have mistaken us for twins, since we shared the same looks.

We walked over to her car, and she stared the engine. It roared, and we were driving eighty miler per hour. I held on the door handle, and pleaded to Sam to slow down. It seemed that she didn’t since the music was blaring loudly, against our ear.

Breathing hard, and were thankful enough to have lived I hopped off and made a mental note not to let Sam drive again. We went inside a famous dress shops, and we were greeted by bright and shiny colours of dresses.

I stared in amazement as we walked past them, there was racks of clothes everywhere. I was the type of person that didn’t wanted a lot of things but staring at these beautiful clothes I couldn’t help myself from drooling all over them.

One of the sales lady led us to a cubicle to get change in, but I came to a halt and grabbed Sam’s arm.

“I’m not buying clothes, Sam. It was you, remember?” I whispered.

She smiled, mischievously. “Darling, don’t worry. It was an emergency, but it’s not just me babe. You need some dresses in your closet not just some old boring jeans and shirt” she said, and started walking away already.

I stared down at my clothes, and gave a tiny shrug. I felt offended, but it was only for a brief second. I shrieked in excitement and followed Sam.

“That’s more like it” she said, when she heard me.

We stripped out of our clothes when the sales lady pushed us in one of the cubicles and hang the beautiful dresses by the door. I grabbed them and looked at one of the dresses. It had striped all over the dress, and I had never been fond of them.

I tried a black dress, and put it on. I got out of the cubicle just as Jace’s cousin did. She looked beautiful, her skin looked beautiful with the dress she had on now. It was a short dress that it’ll give you the view of flawless skin, I suddenly felt self-conscious.

I wrapped my arm around my mid part, too shy and embarrassed to look at myself in the mirror. Sam stared at me in complete horror, her eyes wide open.

“Woah” she breathed.

“What?” I asked, feeling more conscious.

“How come you never showed those great legs of yours? You need to wear more dresses than jeans, you can’t hide em’ forever girl!” she examined me closely, she pushed me gently towards the massive mirror and I stared at myself.

She was right.

I looked good with the black shiny dress, it goes with my creamy skin. I didn’t realized that I had curves until now. I didn’t ever wanted to wear a dress since I was a teenager, but looking back now I regret it.

We tried some more clothes, and Sam paid for our clothes. For a millionth time of me saying thanks to her, she said “Amy, it’s okay! This is no big deal!” she said, and we laughed.

This was the first time I had felt happy since the wedding. I wonder when it would end, when it would get taken away from me.