Thirty-Nine: Hopeful Hurt

Sydney

It had just reached past five in the evening by the time Jay picked us up.

Mate! My wolf rejoiced emerging from the depths of my mind.

The second I heard the knock on the door I ran to the door and just about threw myself in Jay's arms, but then I hesitated when I saw Terrence beside him. Though, that wasn't what had me stopping in my tracks; it was the other person besides them. Jasmine. More specifically, Jasmine talking to Jay, and Jay was talking back not acknowledging me...his mate.

Here I was, just freed from a crazy freaking wolf, I had just found out additional excruciating details from the night Jay and his pack had fought against the Blue Cresent and Fallen pack, and now I was practically clammering to be hidden in Jay's warm safe arms. Instead, Jay continued on talking to Jasmine as though I wasn't there.

No, maybe she's just harassing him! Yep that's got to be it.

My wolf overly agreed with me.

"Jay," I whispered breathlessly.

He seemed to look more and more handsome each time I laid eyes on him with his dark complexion, black locks, and radiant eyes.

I waited for the sobs to escape him as he'd embrace me into his muscled arms and whispered how much I meant to him and how bad he missed me. I waited to feel his amazing lips and body pressed to mine, so there was no way anything could come between us.

But he didn't do that...He didn't do anything even similar to that.

He just looked at me and I swore my heart cracked in my chest. His gorgeous eyes were void of any emotion, not the passion of love, or any trace of warmth in them, or even anger.

"Sydney," He acknowledged almost business-like. "Come on, the car's wasting gas and I don't want someone stealing our ride. This place isn't exactly the most welcoming."

What happened to Star? Where was the Disney moment I'd imagine when Jay wrapped me into his arms and kissed me senseless, where everything around us fades and the only thing left was us?

Before I could even say anything, Jay turned and went for the stairs down to the parking lot a light rain drizzled down on his retreating form. Jasmine followed right on his tail. Before she disappeared down the stairs she tossed me a knowing smirk.

But I was too frozen in embarrassment and hurt to do anything about it.

I felt like crying. I felt the lump in my throat and willed it to go away. My arm looped around myself as I felt all the heat escaping from me and my body shook with the anxiety of not knowing what was going on.

What did I do wrong? Did my being gone make Jay realize he meant none of those loving words he told me? Maybe he didn't mean it when he said he loved me, and he was just toying with me and now this is all spinning out of control and I'm an inconvenience? Wait was it because I hung up on him? I-I didn't mean it to be anything more than just frustration and me wanting to get my point across! Or-or maybe he's just jealous about Elliot and he was trying to get back at me!? But then that would mean he would have to care for me, and by the cold look, he gave me he didn't care...

I bit back the tears.

No. He wouldn't do that to me. He couldn't.

Suddenly I came up with another idea.

Maybe he was overjoyed to see me, but he didn't want to risk Logan coming and he would come and see me only once we got home! So then our moment wouldn't be interrupted.