Chapter 30 (Part 2)

Austin

My car made a sudden halt as I looked at her average sized, cozy home. I sighed remembering the last time I was here.

Why did I have to kiss her? Why do I always mess up?

I grabbed the box with a silent slam of my car door.

2:28pm. 27 minutes until Becky’s out of school, which means I still have enough time.

Walking to her porch, I was still debating in my head if I should continue with what I’m doing or just walk away while I still have time. But walking away was already too late when my right hand knocked on her door three times.

Maybe I should just walk away

As I was about to turn, the door slightly opened wide, Mrs. Springs appearing on the door way with a smile on her face. But it soon faded realizing it’s me but tried to keep it, just to be polite.

“Oh, hello Austin. I haven’t seen you in a while.”

A sad smile played upon my face.

She looked at my hands and noticed the box

“Come in.”

She made way for me to come in. Her house still looks the same, except a few things have been rearranged.  We made our way to the living room and settled on their comfortable, white couches.

“I see you’ve brought something along with you. Not to be rude but what are you doing here honey?”

“I-I came to drop this off, just for old times’ sake.”

 I handed her the box. As she opened it, I caught her smile.

“I remember this.” She held up a picture of Becky and I on New Year’s 2010. She examined it closely examining it. She put it back inside and sealed it with a sigh

“Are you sure it’s a good idea giving this to her”

I gave her a confused look which urged her to go further into explanation

“What do you mean?” 

“I mean,  she just got over the heartbreak. She was a complete mess. She wouldn’t come out of her room, she wouldn’t eat, she was really hurt until about two weeks ago. I believe she’s been talking with another boy”

“Who’s this boy, if you don’t mind me asking?”

“I’m not sure. I never bothered to ask because whoever he is, he’s really helping her.  She’s been happy lately and I don’t want to snoop around.”

I bit my lip, nervous and curious on who he is but I’m sure I don’t even know who he is. My eyes went around the room but eventually landed on the box.

“Well, can I at least put this up in her room?” I grabbed the box and set it on my lap

Mrs. Springs looked at me hesitantly

“I promise I won’t take long.”

Still unsure, she nodded.

“Go ahead Austin. But-” before she had time to finish, her phone rang.  She sighed before getting up to answer it.  I quickly made my way to her room. Her door creaked as I opened it.

Walls filled with pictures of her, Sarah, Mickey, Alex, Robert, and an unfamiliar brunette, I think her name is Ritalind.

Where are our pictures? Where are our memories?

I’ll admit, it hurts at the thought maybe she really did get over me while I’m here trying my best to get her back.

I gently set it on her table. I grabbed a sharpie and wrote her name on the top. I sat on her bed, just remembering a few memorable memories running through my head with a smile on my lips.