Chapter 2

Maya was sprawled across the bed with a pillow on her face to block out the sunlight streaming in from the window. She groaned as she heard the chirping of the birds from outside. She couldn't fall asleep now. 

She hated being one of those people who couldn't fall asleep once they were awake. She glanced at the wall clock and saw that it was only 9:00 AM. It was a Sunday so today she slept till noon at least. Sleep was her best friend and this was the only day she could sleep till late as it was her day off from the hospital.

She got up and stretched her arms above her head. She loved the sound of her bones cracking as she stretched.

She was a staunch believer that you shouldn't wake up with regret of what you couldn't accomplish yesterday. You should wake up while thinking about what you will be able to achieve today. If yesterday wasn't a good day, don't stop. Maybe your winning streak has just begun. Never give up.

The withering away of the darkness and the rising of the sun itself signifies the most important aspect of life – despair giving way for hope. Allah gives you the gift of a new day with every single morning. That is way of letting you know that the purpose of you in life has not been fulfilled yet. Its a way of tell you that you are important. Its just how you perceive it.

With these optimistic thoughts, Maya threw off the comforter from her and swung her legs of the bed and entered the bathroom to brush her teeth and get rid of that horrible morning breath.

After Maya had groomed herself, she skipped out of her room and found Areesha sitting on the sofa watching tv while munching on her chips. The ones Maya had bought and hid them in a very secret hiding place that only she knew about. She had found the culprit who was dwindling her secret stack.

Suddenly, an idea struck her and her eyes twinkled with mischief. Patting herself on the shoulder for being so smart, she made her esteemed presence known with a cheerful salam.

"Walaikum Salam." Areesha replied nonchalantly, her eyes fixed on the show that was playing on tv.

"Areesha! Oh my God! Why are you eating these chips? They are very bad for the baby." She said snatching the packet out of her hand and popped a chip in her mouth and then almost moaned at its heavenly taste as she crunched on it and waited for the drama to unroll. Areesha's drama.

"What?" Areesha's eyes widened in shock. "Why didn't you tell me before Maya? Oh my God. No no no." She rambled 

Maya smirked to herself evilly and propped on the edge of the couch as she munched on the crisps.

"What's going on here ladies?" Maya turned to see her brother entering the room.

"Fawad I am so sorry. I-I didn't even know..." She stammered, almost on the verge of tears.

"What's wrong?" Fawad asked worriedly, his face morphing into a frown.

"Maya told me that these chips are bad for the baby." She admitted quietly. Fawad narrowed his eyes at his sister who was busy eating the chips trying to control her laughter.

"Maya are you sure you are a real doctor?" Fawad said to his sister, shaking his head at her.

Maya, nkt being able to hold it inside, burst out laughing. Areesha looked at her in surprise and narrowed her eyes. How could she laugh when she was so worried?

Then it dawned upon her like a light bulb suddenly lighted in her brain and her eyes narrow further, till they were tiny slits as she glared at Maya.

"Maya! You badtameez larki! You tricked me to have the chips? You are using your degree wrongly!" She said to her.

"Oh Allah! You are so gullible yar!" Maya laughed at her sister in law.

"Can I have my breakfast please?" Bhai groaned. 

"Fawad, your sister just gave me a heart attack and you want your breakfast?" Areesha said dramatically.

"Bhai your wife stole my chips and then didn't even share them with me!"

"Why am I stuck between two ladies? Now I know why people say that you shouldn't get married." Bhai said shaking his head.

"What did you say?" Areesha hissed at him in a low threatening voice.

"What? Nothing sweatheart. Absolutely nothing." Fawad said to her innocently, realizing his awful mistake.

"It better be. Now Maya you hand that packet over right now."  She said to her.

"Here you go." Maya said giving her the now empty wrapper.

"You ate them all!" Areesha said and started crying. Fawad looked at her alarmed. Who cried over such things? Pregnant women....

"Areesha I am sorry. I'll get you another packet from the kitchen." Maya said quickly and rushed to the kitchen to get her another packet.

"Here." She said giving the packet to her. 

Areesha burst out laughing at that and Maya looked at her as if she had gone mad.

"Now who's gullible, me or you?" Areesha laughed in Maya's face.

"What? You tricked me! You took advantage of my niceness. Bhai look at your wife. Give me my chips back!" Maya exclaimed and tried to snatch them out of Areesha's grasp but she took them away from her reach.

"See! You too have started fighting like the typical sister-in-laws. I knew you would." bhai said shaking his head.

"Oh my God! Bhai wants us to fight Areesha! But we love each other, don't we?"

"Yes of course. You're my jaan!" Areesha said as she slung her arm over Maya's shoulder.

"You love me so much that you will even share those chips with me right?" Maya said sweetly.

"What? No way, no love when it comes to food." She said putting the packet out of her reach.

"Come on." Maya pouted. She could have easily gotten herself another packet from the kitchen but where was the fun of sharing with your loved ones. This was the thing she loved about her family: they shared everything with each other, no matter if it were a small quantity. She could be stupid, crazy around her family without any concern about how they would think about her. They would crack the lamest jokes but still laugh about them or rather at themselves for having the worst jokes ever.

There are so many things that people take for granted and don't cherish them. Having a loving family is surely one of them. People realize their true worth when they are at the brink of losing them. Maya had seen enough cases of this as a doctor. Everyday when they lost a patient she witnessed how the family was left broken. She cherished her family and loved them to bits before it was too late as everyone had to leave this world one day.

"I thought I was your jaan. Now it seems that you have forgotten me." Bhai said from behind them.

"Baby, you know I love you." Areesha said kissing his cheek.

"Get a room guys." Maya gagged.

"Lets go then Areesha." Bhai winked at her and Maya thought it was best to disappear from the scene before she threw up at their cheesiness.

The love between her brother and Areesha was exemplary. The true meaning of love after nikah. And she hoped that if she ever fell in love with someone it would be halal. But love and marriage had no place at least for the next few years in her life. 

***

Wow!

I'm such an awesome author!

So many updates in a single day!😉😉