Chapter 44

Back with a bomb! 

***

Zayan yawned as he pushed open the door of his bedroom. It was early in the morning and he had just gotten back home from the masjid after praying fajr. 

With only the thought of wanting to sleep, he stepped inside the room and shut the door behind him as he stopped in his tracks. 

He stared at her and relished in her beautiful voice that echoed in the quiet room. All signs of sleep had disappeared as he stared at her. 

She was sitting on the prayer mat reading the Holy Quran with her voice slightly audible. Her head wrapped in a white chaddar, she looked like a hoor.

Like a moth attracted towards a flame, his steps carried him towards her and he sat down with crossed legs. He relished in the peace from her voice as she recited Surah Rahman. Maya had made no attempt to acknowledge his presence, but her volume had raised a little so that he could hear too.

This was peace.

The birds hadn't woken up from their deep slumber as yet. The night was calm and peaceful with only the two of them awake worshiping their Creator. Only Allah was a witness of their moments together. 

As Maya finished the final ayah of the Surah, she closed the Holy Book and kissed it. She whiffed it on herself and then on him too.

He hadn't realized that his lips had curled up in a small smile at her gesture. Silently, he took the Holy Quran from her and placed it on the shelf while she raised her hands in dua. 

He sat on the bed scrolling through the notifications on his phone, but he couldn't help glancing at her. She looked so serene in conversation with Allah, oblivious of her surroundings. 

When he realized how blatantly he had been staring, he quickly dropped his gaze back to the phone as Maya got up and folded the prayer mat.

"What did you ask for?" He couldn't help but question as she took of the white chaddar and neatly folded it.

"That's between me and Allah." She said mysteriously.

"Did you pray for me?" He blurted out before he knew what he was saying. He closed his eyes for a brief moment as his ears turned red. Why had he asked that? Why would she pray for him?

"Yeah." She said to his utmost surprise. "I did."

"Thank you." He said with surprise still written on his face. He didn't question further. He didn't want to know know what she had asked for. The fact that he was in her prayers meant so much to him. 

Who is this woman? He thought as he stared at his phone blankly, his eyes not really seeing anything on the screen.

To be in someone's prayers is more important than being in their heart. They asked something for you from Allah Almighty.

Zayan's gaze traveled back to her involuntarily as she combed through her hair. She has beautiful hair. Suddenly, Maya looked up and caught his eye in the mirror. His neck turned a little red at being caught and he scratched his beard nervously.

"Uh, what time do you have to leave for the hospital?" He asked glancing at the clock uncomfortably and then back at her.

"I still have an hour." She replied as she tied her hair in a pony. 

Zayan's gaze wavered back to her. Her hair looks nice when she leaves them open. 

At the thought, he closed his eyes for a second. What was he doing? He had never stared at any woman this way. Except Leya. He wasn't like that.