Chapter 13 |F is for friends who do stuff together...|

The guy had introduced himself as Dex Dizznee, and he seemed pleased that she remembered him from her first day there.

Sophie had decided to join him to wherever he had been headed, out of boredom.

"I like your eyes," he randomly blurted.

Sophie blinked. "Thank you."

"I make mine red sometimes," Dex continued. "Freaks everyone out, but I can never make it look natural."

"Auh?"

Dex looked at her again as they stopped at an intersection. "Not many people here have brown eyes."

Sophie stared.

"So," he started again, "you're staying with the Vackers?"

"I have my own apartment."

"But your not staying with them?"

"I don't live with them, no."

Dex eventually nodded. Sophie guessed, remembering that day at Slurps & Burps, that Dex probably wasn't very fond of the Vackers. Or maybe Fitz in general.

"Where ya from?"

"California."

"That's nice."

More silence passed.

"This is awkward to you too, right?"

Sophie sighed, then nodded. "Today is really boring. No offence."

"None taken." Dex stuffed his hands in his pockets, and looked around. "Usually I'd be working at the store, but today they kicked me out to go 'hang out with friends'." He scrunched up his brow. "It's like my parents think I hang out with a bunch of guys saying 'dude' when I'm not working, like in the movies."

Sophie laughed, which caused Dex to give her a deep dimpled smile.

"Well...my parents did sent me here in hopes that I would make a few more friends before I go to Foxfire." Sophie nudged him lightly with her shoulder. "So we're now officially friends."

Dex's face went red again as he looked at her in surprise.

"Really?"

Sophie nodded.

"Just like that?"

"Just like that."

Dex stared forward again, still confused. "Seriously?"

Sophie scowled. "Hey, if don't want to be friends, I can take you off the small, sad list all together, you know!"

He raised his hands in defence, grinning. "Okay, okay! Sorry."

Sophie smiled, satisfied.

"In that case...I'm glad we have become friends, Sophie Foster."

She stopped and turned to him. "Likewise, Dex Dizznee."

Then they shook hands and, just like that, they were friends.

(Seriously)

That's not how I wanted it to go at all, but at least it's something.
I hope you can tell that I don't post often, and when I do, I post 2-3 chapters at a time. Writing an AU is a lot harder than I thought it would be, but I'm trying.
Thank you.
P.S. I'm going to add a sentence of that song to the title of each chapter that Dex and Sophie spend time together. It fits.