Chapter 5

Four days later....

Ethan

I was sitting as usual in my office, a certain brunette occupying my thoughts. O God! I must stop thinking about her. I reminded myself. Focus Ethan, focus. I repeated in my mind.

The past four days have been crazy. All I can think about is Miss Williams. To top it all she works on the same floor as me. I can't help but notice her every time I walk by. I know that it was my decision to make the CA work with me on the same floor. But now I think I am going to regret my decision.

The buzzing of my phone brought me out of my thoughts.

"Hey Buddy. Vas' happening?" Daniel, my best friends voice practically screamed through the phone. I had to hold the phone a few centimeters away from my ear.

"Hey Daniel! I am just busy with my office stuff." It was nice to hear my friends voice.

"Give the office a break man. Listen! Tonight, me, Ralph and Nick have decided to meet at our old place. What's say at about 10 p.m.?"

"Sound good. Yeah I'll be there."

"Okay then see you there."

Good! I'll get to distract myself.

As sudden knock on the door distracted me from my thoughts.

"Come in."I called. My secretary Miss Jones came in.

"Sir you have a meeting now in 15 minutes in the conference room."

Damn!How can I forget!

"Thank you, Miss Jones. I'll be there. You may leave."

She smiled and left. Miss Jones is a hardworking employee. She sometimes annoys me very much. However I admire her hard work. She handles all my meetings, and other stuff well. So I don't mind having her annoy me a couple of times. Sometimes she'd just smile sweetly, too sweetly. Or at times when she would flutter her eyes at me. But as said, good work was more important than anything else.

I stood up from my seat and went towards the conference room on the floor above. When I entered, the entire room was full with various departmental heads in this company. We have such meetings once in every two months, it really helps to understand employee problems and  their functioning. I personally believe that if I could connect to my employees and create a sense of belonging within them towards the company then they can work with the best of their ability.

I went and sat in my seat. Almost all my employees were present there. Much to my bad luck the beautiful brunette was present too. Of course she had to be present for what I have decided to say in the meeting. She has been occupying my thoughts since the first day she entered my cabin.

I really need to have control over my thoughts. I have set some rules for the company employees, what a fool I will look if I don't follow them myself. 'No office romance.' I continued to repeat in my head.

If Erica wasn't my employee then it would be a different case altogether.

I looked up from my laptop screen to see everyone looking at me. I cleared my throat and then everyone looked away.

I began, "As you all know that during the past few months we had been facing many problems and you also know who the cause of the problems was. I personally studied all the annual reports and much to my dismay very few people have done the work assigned to them honestly and efficiently. I congratulate them but to those who have been lazing around, I won't spare them." I looked at some of their paled faces. "As I was saying about our annual reports, and I am very much impressed with one employee here who has, within a short span of time studied all of these and has suggested ideas to improve the standard of the luxury we provide in our hotels without wasting unnecessary money." I took a short pause and then continued. "I congratulate Miss Williams for the valuable suggestions which our team is thinking of putting it in practical use. Miss Williams here has been with us for only three weeks but has proven her capabilities very well."

ERICA

Oh God! Did he just congratulate me in front of everyone? I mean it's good that your hard work is acknowledged by your boss, but I expected none of these. As soon as my name slipped from his mouth I felt giddy with happiness. I am sure my cheeks had turned a deep hue of red. Everyone was watching me. He walked towards me and extended his hand probably for a handshake. I stood on my seat and gave my hand in his hand. I don't know why but I expected his hand to be rough but it was not, it was infact very warm. He held my hand in firm handshake and gave it a gentle squeeze. I looked into his eyes because that's what you are supposed to do for a hand shake. I saw his eyes had a glow in them. The kind of glow you have when you are extremely happy. I am sure mine had the same glow .

"Thank you Mr. Monroe." I said softly.

He let go off my hand and just nodded and turned around to go. I sat on my seat and looked over Alex who had a happy grin on her face. I matched my expressions with hers. She mouthed a "congratulations" to me.

"Thank you." I replied.

The meeting dismissed and we all left the conference room. Alex hugged me as soon as we got out of the room. "O My God, I am so happy for you." She beamed with excitement.

"Yeah, I am happy for me too. Honestly I did not expect any of these." I confessed.

"Now that calls for a celebration, anyways today is Friday we can go to a bar. I know an amazing place in town."

"Sure, I'll treat you today."

"I was hoping you would say that." She joked.We both laughed and went our separate ways.As I was walking down the stairs I heard someone call me.I turned around to see Ian walking towards me.

"Hey congratulations!"

"Thank you Ian."

I saw him unable to find words to speak.I waited for him to continue,"Would you....ehm....would you ....you know.....would you like to go out with me tonight for a lunch....I mean dinner." he spoke at last.

"I am really sorry Ian.I already promised Alex that we'll go out tonight." I really felt bad for refusing him.He was very nice throughout my short span in this office.Always ready to help.

"Oh ..Its okay.Maybe next time.I'll make sure I'll ask you out before anyone else." He said.

I gave him an apologetic smile."Yeah next time." I said with uncertainty.

"Okay then see you later.Bye."He said.

"Bye." I said and we both parted ways.

---------------------------*-*-*--------------------------

Vote

Comment

& Share