Chapter 26

Through the day, Ruby had called Shelly to bring Elena to the pack house.

Shelly asked how were the things and she simply said that everything was alright. Shelly didn't push it and Ruby didn't elaborate. Ruby saw her daughter playing with some pack members of she believed wanted a family of their own but didn't find their mates. 

She went to where Elena was and said, "Young lady, sleep time. You can play tomorrow."

Elena was about to whine but Shelly came and said, "Let's go, Elena."

After Elena said goodbye to everyone and disappeared through the halls, Ruby faced all of them. Some were in the kitchen; others were watching TV. They all looked extremely normal, except Ruby knew it wasn't.

Ruby sighed and said loud enough so everyone could hear, "I know you want to know why I was with a vampire... and you deserve to know."

Everybody started to pay attention and Ruby waited for any interruption but never came. She continued, "It is true that I kissed him. He isn't my mate but he calms me down and for once is smoothing. I don't feel alone."

Some of the rogues that looked young asked, "What did you feel like, Alpha?"

Ruby stared at the boy intensively and didn't realise that she had scared the boy. He spoke with his head bowed, "I am sorry, Alpha."

Ruby shook her head, "Don't say sorry." Ruby truly smiled after a long time and continued, "It felt serene and peaceful. Like I was embraced by clouds. Sounds funny, but it felt unreal."

The same young boy spoke again, "Couldn't he be your mate?"

Ruby smiled at his naiveness, "No, he isn't. I met them and they didn't want me."

The young boy smirked and said, "I thank Moon Goodness for sending you to us. We needed you more and they never deserved you."

Ruby's own lips curled and couldn't help to agree, "I thank her too, every day."

Magda asked, "I am sure that our mates meet us, they will reject us."

The group started nodding at Magda's words and Ruby's heart ached by their loss of hope. Ruby said firmly, "That would never happen because I will never let that happen. You all deserved to be happy, just like me. I am so proud of each of you, overcoming a dark part of yourselves. I know what is like and I trust you all with my life."

Ruby looked at each of the wolves and she could see some of them crying but quickly wiping their tears away and others' eyes shined of salty water. Ruby felt extremely happy to be on that moment and place. Dylan spoke, "We trust you too, Alpha."

Ruby smiled and nodded. She continued, "If you disagree with my odd relationship with the vampire, then I will never meet again unless is business."

Magda asked, "You would do that for us? Would you sacrifice your peace for some rogues?"

Ruby shook her head and continued, "You all are my family. A part of me that I will always protect. I told you then and I am telling you now, I will always choose you all and Elena first."

Isaac pressed, "But we are supposed to protect you."

Ruby smiled, "You already do, but so is my job. We all didn't have a chance to stay in a pack for too long, so we are confused about our roles. So I created my own... On a normal pack, others protect the Alpha but on this pack... I protect you all and it always is that way. I will ask for help when needed."

Nobody argued as they nodded their heads and bowed slightly. Ruby couldn't be more overjoyed than watching her pack accept her once again. She could feel her wolf in the fibres proud of her sight, but Ruby didn't want to acknowledge her.