Chapter Four: Delivering the Judgement

Unsurprisingly, I was first into work on Monday morning. I figured his Friday night bender would've turned into a weekend bender, as he was known for it. It did give me a chance to get ahead of my work that morning though.

An hour after Clarke was due in, he finally stumbled into the office, like normal, barely acknowledging me as he passed my desk. I was almost used to it by now and I didn't really let it bother me. So with a sigh I picked up the files I had been working on and followed Clarke into his office. As he sat at his desk he sighed a little when he saw me.

"You can't even give me second once I walk in, can you?" he asked me.

"Well not when you're an hour late, no," I told him simply. "Be on time and I won't have to harass you."

"I didn't miss any meetings," he pointed. "I checked my schedule. I have one in half an hour."

"Yes, but I need you to sign these," I said slowly, walking up to his desk and handing him a file, "before you can go into this meeting. You need to approve the accounts to confirm your investment in the company, otherwise they'll just think you're playing."

He didn't say anything as he looked at the documents, scanned them slightly but then proceeded to sign them as I instructed. At least it didn't seem like he was in overly argumentative mood today.

"Anything else?" he said, looking back up at me, handing me the file.

"Yes, actually," I told him firmly. "You should have an email I sent through about your business trip Paris next month."

"I have to go to Paris?" Clarke asked surprised.
"Yes, I'm pretty sure I sent you an email about this weeks ago," I sighed impatiently. "Pierce Martin is one of the company's most important clients and every year he holds a gala for his shareholders, and as a majority shareholder you are expected to attend, and maybe even get another client while you're at it."

"Pierce Martin...you mean the guy that opens Global Tec, right?" Clarke frowned, as I could see he was trying to think.

"Yes, the largest phone providers in Europe," I sighed slightly. "Your father attended every year, and managed to get a client or two each time. It's quite easy for him to find a small company that need some finical help to invest him. It's was his most successful business trip all year actually."

Clarke didn't answer me and I realised he was starting at his computer, but he didn't seemed to actually be looking at the screen, rather he was lost in thought. I frowned slightly as I wondered what exactly he could be thinking about.

"Clarke?" I said slowly.

He snapped his head back to look at me. "Right, sorry, what do I need to do to confirm it then?"

"Um, just your flight details and the hotel," I answered him. "I went ahead and booked the same airline and accommodation your father used, as they're still quite accommodating to your name."

"Course," he nodded thoughtfully. "Now, is that it?"

"Yes, actually, it is."

"Great, thanks."

I could fell his coldness with every word he spoke. He didn't want me in the room anymore than I wanted to be there, but for some reason today his rudeness was definitely bothering me. I tried to let it go as I walked to the door of his office, but then I remembered what Ava suggested. What Clarke had told me about his father's will still bothered, and had all weekend, so I needed to ask him, and I figured no matter there would never be a right time with Clarke, so it was now or never.

"Actually, no, it's not," I said suddenly, spinning back around. "Friday night at the club, you mentioned something about Henry's will. I want to know what you meant."