Chapter Thirty: Money Made Me Do It

Our last day in LA was awkward to say the least, especially after last night. Last night turned into exactly what the night before had been, and we were close, and slow and careful, and completely wrapped up in each other. It was scary how good and comforting it suddenly felt, how it suddenly felt like it really needed it.

When I woke up I didn't know what to do or what to say. So I rushed myself into the shower, and then Clarke showed up and wanted to join and I pretended to be done and left to pack. By the time he was out I was eating breakfast and Alicia was there, so I could easily now avoid any weird conversations. Thankfully we didn't hang around long after as we had some sightseeing to do before we left LA.

I let myself get emerged in the sights of LA, like the Hollywood sign, the Hollywood Bowl, Hollywood walk of fame and the Chinese theatre. The best part was Alicia was also very emerged in the experience too, wanting to take photos everywhere, and once we got into the car, Clarke was glued to his phone. So the whole time it was just me and Alicia really enjoying our time. I hoped after Clarke fake broke up with her she would still be his friend, I liked having her around.

We didn't have long after our day out, we had to get our flight back and I was glad first class seats were completely separated, so I was able to curl up in my seat and watch a movie and not talk to Clarke. I needed my time away from him. It was clear I couldn't work anything out when he was near me, because just looking at him I got hypnotised by him. I couldn't control myself around him.

Once we landed, Alicia got a separate car back as she had to immediately go to meeting for work. Guess the modelling life didn't rest either. So I was stuck in a car with Clarke, but luckily Trevor was our driver today so I knew Clarke wouldn't bring anything personal up. I thought I had escaped him and any conversation, like I had done with Paris, but when we got to my apartment Clarke got out of the car with him.

"Is everything okay?" I asked, opening the trunk to get my suitcase for me.

"Its fine," I lied. "Why do you ask?"

Clarke shrugged, putting my suitcase in front of me. "You've just been acting a bit weird today."

"I'm just tired," I played it off. "I just need to rest."

"Okay," Clarke said a little blankly. "Well, you have Monday off, so that should help."

I nodded in agreement and I realised it was awkward. I had made it awkward.

"It's probably going to be crazy Monday anyway," Clarke continued. "I'm going to make time with the PR to end this thing with Alicia and God knows there'll be damage control."

"You're really doing this then?" I asked. I realised there was a little hope in my voice. I knew their relationship was fake, but he could never be with me when she was in the picture. I needed to cut that thought out.

"Yeah," Clarke breathed out. "It's not...me. I need to completely be me if I want to run this company properly. These business guys don't care who I'm dating, that's the public, but they're not the ones I'm trying to sign contracts with."

"I'm...proud of you," I admitted.

Clarke smiled slightly. "Well, I better let you go. I'm sure you've got stuff to catch up on, and I'll see you Wednesday."

"Yes, see you then."

We both stood there awkwardly for a moment, unsure of what to do. Eventually we both just smiled and Clarke got back into the car.

I walked myself back into my apartment and to no surprise, I saw Ava waiting for me in the lounge room. I put my suitcase next to the couch and flopped down next to you.