Chapter Twenty-Nine

I paused. I couldn't leave him, but I knew I had to. It's either none of us or it's you. I had to choose me, because if I stayed down there I knew that Asher would just keep fighting to keep Carter away from me instead of himself.

I ran up the stairs but my legs were numb and I tripped. I stumbled trying to get back on my feet and to the basement door. I wanted to look back. I needed to. I glanced over my shoulder to see them rolling each other across the floor, throwing a punch whenever they could. I didn't want to turn back, but I had to. It felt at the time like one of the hardest things I've ever done. I could smell the gas leaking as I pushed my way through the mess of stuff that had fallen upstairs, and finally I had made my way outside.

I put one foot inside the cabin as I looked for a weapon I could use to help Asher, but I couldn't find anything that I would be able to use. I stepped out and started walking away from the place, close enough to see it but far enough so when it happened I couldn't get hurt. I watched it go up in flames as the sound of an explosion pierced my ears.

"Ellie," I heard, but I thought I was hearing things. "Ellie."

I looked around when I saw Jenna in the distance. I didn't know what to think when she stood there just watching me. I smiled a little, and she smiled a lot before running towards me. I ran to her, but my legs were still shaky. She held her arms out and we hugged.

"Are you alright," she asked.

I noodled my head. "He's still in there, we need to help him."

I looked at the cabin that was bursting into flames. My eyes watered and before I knew it I was crying. I needed to help him, but I was so helpless. I heard sirens in the distance but they were too late. Everyone was just a little too late.

"The police," she said, "They're coming."

I smiled at her, but a short quick smile. I didn't try to hide my disappointment that they weren't on time to save him. She stepped to the side a bit and Luke came out from the shadows of the trees.

"I'm going to tell them where you are," Jenna said, meaning the ambulance and police cars. She ran off in their direction.

I stood there looking at him, crying and refusing to wipe the tears from my face. He stood there and didn't move. I guess we both weren't sure of this, but we ran to each other anyways. I jumped up and put my legs around his waist. He held me tightly as I cried into his shoulder. I needed someone and I didn't think it was him, but he was there when no one else was.

"Sorry," he whispered into my ear. "I'm so sorry."

I didn't say anything back. I forgave him a while ago, but I didn't know if he forgave me. He continued apologizing and ran his hand along my back. I was happy he came, but I was also conflicted because I loved Asher. He let me down and put his hands on my shoulders; I knew what he was doing, but I didn't stop him. I should have because he stepped closer and he looked at me, but I just looked back. He came forward to kiss me and I let him. It wasn't the same because it wasn't Asher. I didn't say anything though.

"I missed you," he said. "Are you alright?"

"Yeah." I didn't know what else to say.

He backed away and looked at me again. I didn't feel anything when we kissed but it was nice to have him here with me. He put his hand on my forehead and pushed my hair back behind my ear. He noticed the bruise from when Asher and I collided.

"What happened El?"

I smiled a little bit, mostly because I thought about that memory but I feel like I also smiled because of the way he said my name. El. "Oh, Asher and I-"