Track 12: Of Rain and Rooftops

For reasons I'll never understand, I could not get it together and edit this chapter! It took me FOREVER. I'm so sorry for the wait, but here you go! I'm finally happy with it.

This chapter is dedicated to lethologicas, droughtful, and VeraMicic. They've been waiting for Josh a looong time. :) Hope he doesn't disappoint!

I'd also like to thank the rest of you guys for being so patient with me. I know you've been waiting a long time too.

Misery Loves Company

By: theinkslingerr

Track 12: Of Rain and Rooftops

The panic hit me like a mean kid during a game of dodgeball.

This couldn't be happening right now! This couldn't be real! Coincidences like this only happened in movies and books you found in the young adult section at dusty, old libraries! I was probably still in bed dreaming, waiting for my obnoxious alarm to wake me up.

"And who might you be?" Mrs. Mayer asked Josh.

No, Mrs. Mayer! I agonized internally. Your mouth is supposed to get all creepy and I'm supposed to hear Bound for the Floor!

Instead Josh continued to block the doorway; that stupid, confusing smile still on his face. "Josh Henderson," he answered. His eyes never left mine. "Godzilla fan, taco enthusiast, and new student. Nice to meet you."

Mrs. Mayer cracked a smile. "It's always nice meeting a fellow taco enthusiast. Where are you from, Mr. Henderson?"

"Here, actually, but I've been in Palo Alto for the past few years with-" Josh paused, his smile dimming a bit. "It was time to come home."

"Then welcome home! Go ahead and take a seat anywhere. You're just in time to hear why everyone hates my class," Mrs. Mayer instructed cheerfully.

"Sounds good." Josh chuckled, slowly making his way down my row.

Don't, I wanted to scream. Don't you dare sit next to me! My ribcage became a pinball machine and my heart: the little silver ball that ricocheted off the sides. Gripping the edge of my desk in white-knuckled fear and anger soon became difficult when my palms started to sweat. My hands slid around uselessly before falling into my lap where they formed shaking fists. I let out a deep breath and turned to Enid for moral support, but she was too busy glaring her own daggers at Josh.

That's when I decided to compile a mental checklist.

Desk in front of me- occupied.

Desk to my left- Enid.

Desk behind me- occupied.

Desk to my right- Stoner Steve.

Oh, thank God for Stoner Steve.

I wanted to sob in desperate relief when I realized the closest Josh could sit was two desks ahead of the pot-loving skateboarder.

Josh stared at said desk then me. His jaw clenched and I thought he was going to keep walking back, but he dropped his backpack on the floor and sat down heavily.

He was planning something. I knew he was planning something, but what? Did the smile in the doorway and the jaw clench near the desk mean "I'd really like to punch you right now" or "I can't wait to Fedex your organs to your Mother?"