Track 31: Concessions & Confectionaries

Misery Loves Company

By: theinkslingerr

Chapter 31: Concessions & Confectionaries

I sat at the back of the cutesy French themed bakery trying to look like I had my life together when all I wanted to do was run out screaming. The little girl walking by with her mom probably sensed this when she smiled at me and got a manic grimace in return. To be fair, it was meant to be a smile, but nerves made the body do strange things. Now successfully creeped out, the little girl shuffled closer to her mom, who glared at me as they made their escape through the front doors.

Le Petit Biscuit was an explosion of pastel colors, paintings of macarons, and furniture that looked like it was stolen out of Marie Antoinette's garden. Despite it only being a fifteen minute bus ride from my school, I hadn't known it existed until now.

I glanced at my phone and sighed. It was 3:52. Ji-Hyun was supposed to meet me at 3:30. Was she stuck in traffic? Or had she changed her mind about talking face-to-face? This was almost as nerve-wracking as waiting to see what she'd text back last night. In those long moments after I'd sent my apology, my imagination had run wild.

Scenario #1

Ji-Hyun: How could you, Misery?

Scenario #2

Ji-Hyun: You conniving slut! You're everything that they're calling you online!

Scenario #3

Ji-Hyun: Catch me outside! I'm gonna slap the purple out your hair!

OK, that last one was a stretch. Ji-Hyun didn't even know where I lived, but still...

I couldn't have another person misunderstanding me, hating me. The entire world was enough.

That's why I was mostly relieved when she replied: I wish you'd told me about the kiss when I was spilling my guts out to you about Dom. I feel a little silly.

That was fair. Who could blame her for thinking she'd been set up? I scrambled to come up with something that wouldn't sound disingenuous or rehearsed.

Me: I'm sorry...I didn't know how to bring it up.

Me: Please don't hate me

There was a short pause.

Ji-Hyun: I don't. Listen, this isn't the kind of thing I want to discuss over text. Can we meet up tomorrow?