Track 51: Safety In Numbers (Part I)

Misery Loves Company

By: theinkslingerr

Track 51: Safety In Numbers (Part I)

"I just wanna thank my amazing viewers for showing Misery Loves Company so much love! It honestly exceeded my expectations," Enid said into the camera.

I was offscreen waiting for my cue to come out.

"Just a few short weeks ago, Misery Hayes was a mess."

There it was— my cue! I joined her in front of the cameras, face made-up and dressed in the Denim Monstrosity (the acid wash denim mini-skirt and matching top Enid pressured me into wearing on my date with Dom). I smiled into the camera manically, and something just told me I had lipstick on my teeth.

It figured this would be the last image I left people with.

Enid gestured to me wildly and continued, "When we first started the show, I was Misery's only friend." She wrinkled her nose. "Sort of. And her idea of an eventful weekend was binging bad Netflix shows and Kit Kats. She'd never even kissed a boy!"

I nodded like the cue cards told me to. It was true, after all.

"Now she's got tons of friends and has kissed not one, but two rock stars. She's also not afraid to stand up to me anymore. Misery Loves Company turned her life around. I hope it helped some of you too. As promised, here is Blue Vendetta performing their new single Safety In Numbers!"

Enid and I cheered and clapped as the boys stormed the room with their instruments. A mic stand was already in place for Jae. Rocco and Eli plugged their guitars into amps and Dom twirled his drumsticks. They were pumped. Excitement radiated from them in waves. They'd been waiting a long time to share this song with the world, and even though being on the show had been a roller coaster ride, I would've probably done it again to be here for this moment.

Rocco strummed a jarring note on his guitar. The anticipation prickled my scalp and bled through my skin in the form of goosebumps.

This was the last episode. I'd survived. Made it through days and situations that threatened to break me. Unexpectedly, my throat closed up and my view of the boys got a little blurry.

This was actually bittersweet.

Jae counted down from five and opened his mouth to sing, but his mic suddenly vanished into thin air. It reappeared in front of Rocco.

I stopped clapping and looked around the room in confusion. That was super weird. What was going on? Enid was still cheering and none of the crew members had batted an eye. Was I the only one who saw that?

I glanced back at Rocco in time to see him singing.

Except it wasn't singing. He was talking to me, hazel eyes bright with fury.

"I want the world to know you're a liar."

"Liar!" Jae, Eli, and Dom repeated in unison.

"I could never love you," he hissed.

"He could never love you! "They chorused.

I stepped back, heart beating wildly in my chest. They were supposed to be singing 'Safety In Numbers.' Why were they doing this to me in front of everyone?

Dom started replicating my heartbeat on his drums while Enid and the crew joined in on the incessant chanting.

"Liar! Liar! Liar!"