CHAPTER : 17

The drive back home seemed longer and more lonely than ever. Snow covered pine trees lining the wet, narrow wavy roads of the hills, fanned by outside the window as rain softly pelted outside. Nature completely painted in black and white with the freckled dark green and brown from the bushes or trees that covered the wide landscape.

The car was silent except for the occasional swoop of the windscreen wiper and the hum of the engine. Other than that, Liza was not in the mood for small talk while I was in an emotional whirlwind, having a hard time understanding what exactly I should feel.

Happy because I was going to perform, worried because I did not know what to do about Mr. Dimitri, scared because I feared this new side of my teacher, confused with why he did such a thing and lastly guilt because I couldn't find the words to share all of this to Liza.

I sneaked a peek towards her and found her deep in thought as well. As if she was contemplating something. I decided that I should at least tell her that...

"Hey Liza, um today in music class something happened..."

"Yeah? What happened now? Did the hot teacher kiss you?" She smiled a little while her eyes were still on the road and yet somehow even the humour in her voice didn't sound like her usual self. I didn't want to pry though, privacy is treasured, and I respect it. If she wanted to share something she would in her own time.

Her statement on the other hand really shocked m which she noticed very clearly. The silence that followed after was tense, but I preferred it rather than sharing the embarrassing and equally confusing events with her. Not to mention the morality of it all. Yes, Liza jokes about it but a relationship between a student and teacher should not be anything but academic and professional. Legally, that's what is practiced as well.

"Rosie, is something wrong?" Liza's voice was laced with worry and her forehead had this little frown, making her look a little funny. A small fold that pushed her eyebrows too close together and made her anything but serious.

Small bursts of laughter came out of my mouth while Liza's frown got only larger. It was too funny to me and I just couldn't control myself any longer.

"If I wouldn't have known you any better I would have said you have gone mad. So tell me, babe, what happened? One moment you are all gloomy doomy and the next moment you are happy wappy. Wanna share?" A small smile tugged on her lips while she parked the car into our driveway. Her mood seemed to have lifted up as well as she smiled more broadly this time. I didn't want to ruin this, these moments of sudden happiness and peace that we had. God knows, both of us needed it.

We both got out of our car and headed towards the door as it started to rain harder this time. It was freezingly cold as the wind whistled through the trees and rustled the wet leaves covered in snow. The gravel underneath our feet, dark and wet, crunched as we hurried inside as soon as the door unlocked with the greeting warmth inside.

"You won't believe what happened! Lizzie, I think I am going to perform on stage!!" Liza's eyes sparkled with happiness, and she started jumping up and down with excitement. Somehow I too joined in and we both started screaming at the top of our lungs like mad women. The troublesome events that occurred today, stuffed at the back of my mind for now. I could deal with it on my own later. Or try to.

"I can't believe my girl is going to be famous! This totally calls for a celebration! Let's hit the club tonight! You know what? I know something better for this kind of celebration...."

*****

"No."

"Yes!"

"N-O"