Chapter 25: The Rumor

Krissy's Point of View
Everything was off. Usually I could walk into class and people would ignore my existence. Instead, all eyes were on me. In every class, I would walk in and take my seat. Except, I would feel everyone just staring. Then, the whispering would start. I have heard ridiculous theories as to why Blake was dating me. I have even heard that i'm a witch. That was is the stupidest one yet. I tried to ignore them but it was hard. My name was being passed around like an everyday word. I did not like being the center of attention.

I managed to go the whole day without seeing Blake. I was grateful. Don't get me wrong. I love Blake, but the whole school didn't need to know. When he shouted it in the morning, everyone was silent. They were all in shock. I was too. I wasn't expecting for Blake to say that, much less tell the entire school. I was moved that he wants to show the world that he loves me, but he could have gone without telling our classmates.

I tried to hide and hope everyone forgot about it, but that didn't occur. So during lunch, I hid in the library. No one goes in there. Only nerds do and for once, I was okay with that label. I spent my free time reading. I hadn't been able to read any stories on Wattpad and now I had the chance. I managed to get through four chapters of my favorite book A Player in Disguise before the bell decided to ring. I sighed and made the long trek to class. I ignored all the stares the best I could and focused on the lesson plans that lied ahead. The only thing I was looking forward to was to head to work.

I needed the extra cash. I had things to start buying for Harvard. I wanted to pay for my tuition, but I knew I wouldn't be able to do it on my own. My grandpa had called me last night to say sorry. He let me cool off from the horrible Christmas and decided to tell me my Christmas present over the phone. Apparently, I was now financially stable for the next four years. I guess he made me a trust fund big enough to attend Harvard 20 times. I denied it, but he only said I deserved it. I thanked him before he said he had to go.

So, now i'm rich. But, I wasn't on planning on touching that. It was only going to pay for school and then i'd repay all that money. I didn't want to be a prissy rich girl who lives off their family. I wanted to make my own money and be my own person. Which is why I was looking forward to working. Not only did I want to make money, but I also wanted to see Hanna. She didn't know about Blake and I. Neither did Julia. They would be ecstatic. They have been rooting for us since the beginning. I just never knew that this was finally going to be the end.

I walked through the hallway towards the parking lot, having to pass the football locker room. I heard whispering from inside, slightly eavesdropping in on their conversations.

"Dude, that's Fred Carver. He's UCLA's recruiter."

"What's he doing here?"

"Do you think I could talk to him?"

"I heard he wants Asher and Blake."

My heart started beating quickly. Blake may be getting an offer to play college football. My heart swelled with joy. I was trying to convince him to not throw his life away and try even going to community college. He was hesitant at first but said he would think about it. Now this was the moment. Blake was going to be offered a chance to play for UCLA.

"Dude! That was awesome! We're going to be Bruins!" I heard Asher's voice carry through the locker room to me. I smiled at the thought of Blake in a blue and yellow uniform. He was going to look great. California was going to treat him right.

At that thought, my mood instantly changed. Blake was going to have to move to the other side of the country. He would have to live in LA. He would be thousands of miles away from New Haven. We would have to break up.