Look at her!

I woke the next day; excited. {I had to bring her home today at any cost.}

It was Saturday. I started early and drove to the town where her parents lived. It was about 5 hrs journey and by the time I reached their house, it was about noon. I knocked their door. After few seconds, the door opened.

In front of me, stood my cute wife. She wore a loose T-shirt with a long skirt and her hair tied up in a messy bun. With great efforts, I restrained myself from hugging her. I didn’t want to give her a heart attack. By the look of her, I was convinced that she was on the verge of fainting.

Her big eyes were opened even wider. Her mouth half open and her cheeks red. She looked like a doll, without any movement.

“Remember me?”

She slowly nodded.

{Thank God! I thought she forgot that I existed.} “Do I need to stand here all day?”

She shook her head horizontally and moved aside to let me in. I gave her one of my best smiles and settled on the couch in the hall. The house did not change much. It was the same old cosy and inviting place, which I had been to, few months back, for the first time to ‘see’ her.

“Siri! Who is it?”
Aunty entered the room and I stood up to greet her.

“Namaste Aunty!”
I bowed slightly to touch her feet. After she recovered from her shock, she smiled and nodded. Then she excused herself and went inside. In few seconds, Uncle came out. I greeted him again the same way. The elderly couple blessed me.

“Sit down son!” Uncle requested.

I sat in my comfortable seat and uncle and aunty were seated opposite to me. There was an awkward silence for a few minutes. No one spoke a word. Meanwhile, Siri brought coffee for everyone. As she handed me the cup, I looked at her face. But her head was bent. She was not looking at me. I sighed.

“So; son it has a been a long time since we met …” Uncle gave a nervous smile. I smiled back.

“Yes; uncle … it has been a long time and I came to just see how you people are doing …”

{Really? Why can’t you tell the real reason?} I wanted to kick that stupid part of my mind.

“I know son. You have come to take your wife to your home. You need not hesitate. I have been advising again and again … but these father and daughter have been postponing the inevitable.” There was a tinge of authority mixed with sorrow in auntie’s voice. She glared at her husband. “… And now we troubled Hari …” She continued.

“No … aunty … I just …”

“She is right son. Siri is our only daughter and it takes a lot of courage to send her away. That is why we have delayed ...” He looked sad.

I felt extremely embarrassed. I tried to look for Siri. But she was not there. {She must have been inside her room. All these events must have been hard for her to digest. Should I give her more time?
Shut up. She is not going to come to you by herself at any cost. This had to happen sooner or later.} And that was my brain, playing double role.

“But son...”

I looked up. Uncle had a traditional calendar in his hands and he was observing it seriously.

“I don’t think there is a right Muhurtam today. It is better to take her tomorrow.”

“Sure uncle!”

I nodded, as I got up to leave.

.....................…………………………

Muhurtam = auspicious time

Traditionally many Indians calculate the auspicious time before starting anything important, so that the event doesn't have bad outcomes or many hurdles.