Payasam

“Monster …” She murmured. But I heard it.

“What?”

She ran away. I started laughing. Aunty came in a hurry.

“What happened son?”

“Siri …”

Siri, who stood behind her mother; looked horrified and pleaded me with her eyes.

“What did she do?” Aunty glared at her daughter.

“Nothing much aunty. You wanted to know what I wanted to eat right? Can you make me payasam aunty? I came to know that you make it very well.”

“Nothing like that …” Aunty looked shy.

“True son. She makes the sweetest and tastiest payasam I have ever tasted.”

“Shut up…” Aunty mumbled to uncle and rushed to kitchen.

I laughed. Uncle also started laughing. But his eyes followed aunty. They are such a good couple. So are my parents.{Hats-off to god for pairing them. They show us how love is supposed to be. But ... is my relationship with Siri ever going to be this good?}

Siri came and sat beside uncle. He patted her head. Just as she was about to speak ...
“Siri come help me.”

She made a face ran into the kitchen.

“I don’t know whether I should say this or no … But you 2 are made for each other uncle.” I told uncle.

He smiled. “Thanks. And you and Siri also are made for each other. My blessings will always be with you people.”
{Wish it could be true.} I sighed.

In a few minutes, lunch was ready. {And there were 10 different dishes. How could they prepare so much in such a short time?} I was amused.

Aunty and Siri served while Uncle and I sat to have lunch.

“Why don’t you two also have?” I suggested.
Aunty hesitated to reply.

“Please! We are a family now. Don’t treat me like a guest.”

She smiled and those two also had their lunch with us.

I had a small nap after lunch. {My tummy was so full with yummy food and payasam, that I felt heavy and drowsy.}

I woke to the sound of clinking bangles and slowly opened my eyes to see my wife packing her bag.

***************************

Payasam = a sweet dish made out of milk and rice.