~Chapter One~

"Come on, Princess.. he'll be home soon. Have you made the table?" Her mother asked sweetly.

She nodded, getting up onto her tip toes and checking it carefully. Her mother rushed over and moved a few things... Only by millimetres.

"Good girl." She beant down and kissed her daughters head. "You're going to be good for daddy? No fidgeting... No sitting on your feet? No playing with your hair?" Her mum checked.

She nodded proudly.

"Let's go and get you changed, this dress is a little messy now, Princess. Come on, quickly." They rushed up the old crooked stairs that sounded as if they were about to fall, and into the back bedroom, no bigger than a small bathroom would be... But yet, squeezed into the room was buckets of imagination and childhood fun.

Her mother changed her dress, and sat her in the floor, plaiting her hair out of her face and making sure she looked presentable.

She heard the front door being unlocked.

"Come on, Lexi. Downstairs, quickly. Be a good girl for mummy." She ushered her down the stairs and into their living room, which was right next to the kitchen.

Her mother left her and went to the stove, serving their dinner onto white plates.

"Good day at work?" She asked. Trying to make conversation to her husband. He stood tall, dropped his bag on the floor and kicked off his shoes.

"Usual." He replied. "Get me a beer why don't you?" He told her and she rushed around after him.

Alexa sat in the corner of the living room, playing with an old toy.

He came into the living room and ignored the fact his daughter was there. Dropping into his armchair and switching on the Tv.

"When's dinner gonna be ready?" He asked.

"It's ready now... Come on, Lexi. Up the table." She said quietly, placing two played on the table. She went back for the other three and placed herself next to her husband.. just incase.

"Thank you mummy." She said quickly. Climbing onto the chair and sitting nicely, the way he liked it. She didn't fiddle, and she didn't touch her hair.

He started eating.

Her mother went up the stairs, and brought brought down Edward, their oldest. She placed the baby in a small basket in the corner of the room. Hannah.

"Thanks." Edward said, sitting next to Lexi.

"What'd you do today?" Their father asked. He seemed to be in a good mood.

"I went to school.. we learnt maths... And English.. and then I did my homework." Edward explained and he smiled, taking another bite.

"Good boy." He told him. He looked at Lexi.

"I went with mummy to the shops... And I helped with the baby. And I did some drawing." She told him, hoping he would be proud of her too.

"Sounds useful." He scoffed sarcastically. "What did you buy?" He asked his wife. "Didn't use my beer money for anything useless?"

"No.. just the weekly shop.. I thought I would do it while Edward was at school.. " she replied quietly.

"Fine." He nodded. "I had a meeting today, Edward. The elders want to meet you, you're nearly 12 now, you'll be taking over soon."