Chapter 7

I hated the fact that Rush could still get under my skin all these years later, maybe even more so now. I hated how I had snapped at him earlier even though I had known Wes wouldn't have approved with my prancing around in my underwear even though Rush had seen me. And well, at home, Tucker, Monique and many of my other friends had seen me like that. But maybe it was for the best, Levi was too innocent and would have probably passed out from embarrassment.

The next day, I repeated reminded Wes that he had to drive me back to St. Louis for Tucker's party. I reminded him at breakfast, then while we fed the chickens together, then while Levi showed us how to milk the cows and I pretending that my nails were too long to milk them, too, and then at lunch until he finally lost it.

"Oh my God!" he gasped. "I get it. I have to drive you back there. Sheesh, calm down."

"Good, as long as you remember," I tried to contain my laughter. I had been annoying him on purpose because I felt out of place at the farm house. Rush hadn't been home all day and even though Levi had been making efforts to involve me in everything, my heart wasn't in it.

"How could I forget?" he asked. "You've reminded me like fifteen times today."

"Don't exaggerate," I swatted his arm. "I only told you like four times."

Levi chuckled over his grilled chicken salad, shaking his head.

"I can take her, if you want," he offered and my heart swelled with new found love for Levi (not that kind of love). "We can take my pick-up truck in case you're scared she'll puke."

"I can hold my liquor-" I snapped my mouth shut when I found Wes glare at me. "Not that I drink that often."

That was a lie. I drank at all the parties Tucker and I went to, which was every weekend. But I hadn't been lying when I said that I could hold my liquor. I knew my limits and even though I drank to the point where I couldn't walk straight or control my words, I had never said or done anything stupid when I was drunk, nor had I ever thrown up.

"I guess, we'll take your truck," Wes sighed. "I don't want my baby smelling like puke."

"Please tell me he didn't just call his car his baby," I begged Levi and he laughed, his eyes lighting up. I watched him in awe. He really did look like Aunt Marya.

By four in the evening, I was ready in my cheerleading uniform with my hair tied in a high ponytail and my signature smoky eyeshadow and cherry red lips. Monique had told me that the cheerleading squad and the football team were wearing their uniforms for the last time so I had packed them in my duffle the day before.

"Wes! Levi!" I called as I headed downstairs until I saw that Levi was waiting for me at the bottom of the staircase.

"I didn't know you were a cheerleader," he said, opening the door for me and I smiled at him. "You look beautiful."

"Thanks," I twirled around for him and my skirt swooshed around my legs. "Where's Wes?"

"In the truck," he nodded outside and I followed him.

He opened the back door of the truck for me and I got in. Wes had already chosen a music channel on the radio and country music filled the car as I got in. He had turned the air conditioning on so thankfully it was already cool once I got in.

Levi started the truck and it roared to life. I had the strong urge to ask where Rush had been all day but I kept my mouth shut.

We drove for hours, taking turns singing to the country music. I only knew the Carrie Underwood songs which was kind of embarrassing but spare me, I didn't have any friends to listen to country music with. With the IT crowd, it was all about EDM music and the songs that hit the top charts. When we finally reached St. Louis, Wes directed Levi to our area until I cut in between, directing him toward Tucker's house.