7. Police Report pt. One

James's POV:
Guards arrived at our dorm and rushed to help Chris. I didn't want them to. I wanted them to leave him there to rot away.

"What did you do to this boy?" The guard questioned me.

I looked at Brooke who sat on the couch with a blank stare.

I walked over and sat next to her. A guard followed and sat on our coffee table in front of her.

"Are you alright, miss?" He asked. Brooke slowly shook her head, not looking away from the paused TV.
"Can you tell me what happened?" He asked again.

"I was raped," Brooke responded with no tone at all. The guard pulled out his notebook.

"By the young man on the floor over there?"

"Yes. Chris."

I glared at Chris who was being assisted up and out.

"He's staying over at our office tonight, John," The guard near us said to the guard holding Chris up.

He and Chris headed out but the other guard stayed with Brooke and I.

"Miss Jones, are you willing to come to our office tomorrow morning to answer some questions?" The guard asked.

Brooke reached her hand over to find mine. She broke her stare with the TV and made eye contact with the guard.

"Only if James can come with me," she replied. The guard said he can excuse me from my classes tomorrow and can excuse Brooke for as long as she needs to recover.

I gave her hand a gentle squeeze and looked at her and felt her pain.

"Are you two going to be okay for tonight?" The guard asked before leaving.

After he left, Brooke walked slowly to her bed and sat down, staring at the wall. I cleaned up her half finished dinner and packed up her backpack.

"Do you need anything? Like water or something?" I offered. She shook her head and quietly declined. I turned off the light in the kitchen but left the bathroom light dimly on, knowing Brooke liked having a small nightlight.

She laid back and I walked to her bed and tucked her in. She rolled over to look at me.

"James?" she asked softly. I kneeled down next to her bed.

"Yeah?"

"Can you lay with me?" She asked.

"Of course," I said. She scooted over to make room for me as I climbed in bed next to her. I put my arms around her and we laid to face each other. She nuzzled her head into my chest and I felt tears fall down her face. I held her closer and kissed her head.

I rubbed her back and hummed her favorite song to try to calm her down.

She pulled one of my arms off of her so she could hold my hand. Before holding her's, I wiped the tears from her eyes, then went back and intertwined my fingers with her's.

"I'm sorry, James," she said in between whimpers.

"For what?" I said with a shocked tone.

"For causing you so much trouble."

She let go of my hand and lazily traced circles on my palm.

I squeezed her hand gently and kissed the top of her head.

"Brooke you don't cause me any trouble at all. None of this is your fault at all," I said.

Brooke let her body relax and wrapped her arm around me.

I felt her hand fall out of mine as she fell asleep. I picked it back up and fell asleep with it placed in mine.

***

I woke up early the next morning because Brooke kept kicking around in her sleep. I wrapped my arms back around her.

"Shh...shh," I whispered. I rubbed her back and held her close. "It's okay."

She slowed down and took a deep breath in her sleep and her eyes fluttered open.

"Are you okay?" I asked. She nodded.

"Bad dream, sorry for waking you," she sighed. I let out a yawn.

"Don't worry about it, do you want to go back to sleep? It's still only four thirty in the morning," I said tiredly as I looked at the alarm clock next to her bed.

"Yeah, but could you stay in bed with me?" She requested.

"Of course," I smiled. She curled back up next to me and started quietly singing her favorite song to herself and I chimed in softly. She eventually fell back asleep and as did I.

We both woke up later around eight and got up to get ready for Brooke's meeting with the security team and most likely police.

She walked into her bathroom and splashed her face with cold water and pulled her hair back into a messy ponytail. She changed into a tank top, jeans, and a jacket then brushed her teeth.

I threw on a shirt and offered to make breakfast but Brooke didn't want anything to eat.

"Are you ready?" I asked her. She blinked back tears and wiped her eyes.

I put my arm around her and walked her slowly to the office in between the dorm halls.

She took a long deep breath before pushing the door open.

"Good morning, Miss Jones," a police officer greeted her. She sat down, refusing to let go of my hand. I sat in the chair next to her and looked to make sure she was alright.

"Now, we know this is going to be difficult, but we need your story so we can make appropriate charges. Before you tell us what happened, we're going to need you to follow Mrs. Felderman into the back room to take photographed evidence of any marks on your body," the second officer explained. Brooke stood up quietly, still holding my hand, and pulled herself and me into the back room.

She slid her jacket off and revealed dark purple bruises on her wrists and upper arms. She pulled her hair up to show hickeys on her neck and shoulder blades and rolled her jeans down to show hickeys and dark bruises on her waist, butt, and thighs.

I squinted my eyes and looked down at the floor, I couldn't look at her in that state.

"Thank you, Miss Jones, you may go answer the questions we have prepared," the photographer told Brooke. She fixed her clothes and we both took our seats in front of a desk.

A police officer clicked record on a camera.

"For the record, please state your age, name, and date of birth."