11. The Morning After

Brooke's POV:
I woke up around four in the morning that day. I gave James a kiss on the head then crawled out from under him quietly. I put my underwear and bra back on then pulled up my jeans and threw my sweater back on. I slipped back into my shoes but left my shirt and room key right next to him. I kissed his forehead and took one last look at him before sneaking out into the dimly lit hallway.

I walked away that early morning from the man I truly loved and wanted to be with, but I just couldn't be with him or love him anymore.

I stepped through that hall that early morning without looking back.

I left those doors not wanting to go back through them and got in my car without hesitation.

I watched the sunrise as I drove down the freeway that morning without thinking about how James was going to feel when he woke up.

I knew in my brain I was doing the right thing, but my heart still ached with guilt.

***

Flash foreword to three years from that morning and I'm married to the man I was engaged to with two beautiful daughters.

No one in my life knows about James and the love I still hold in my heart for him.

I still sleep with that picture of us in my pocket and every now and then he appears in my dreams.

I will always know that James Fields is the man I want to be with, but it's too late now.

It's much too late now.