9. Brooke Goes Home

James's POV:
The walk back to our room was silent. I asked Brooke if she was okay and she said she didn't feel like talking. I understood and helped her to her bed.

"James, I think I'm going to go home for a while," she told me as she slid off her jacket and sat on her bed. I sat next to her.

"Oh, oh I understand," I said. "Do you know for how long?"

"No, I'm going to need a while. I can't even walk past that hallway without reliving him throwing me around-"

"Brooke, it's okay, take all the time you need," I interrupted.

"Thank you, James," she smiled. She got up and began packing. I helped her fold all her clothes and throw out the outfit she was wearing last night. We wrapped her picture frames up, popping a few of the bubbles and laughing together.

After an hour or so, we stood in silence looking at the colorless half of the room that was once pink and bright.

"Can I drive you to the train station?" I offered.

"That would be ideal, thank you James," Brooke said.

I helped her roll her suitcase out of the building and loaded it into my car.

The whole ride to the station was even more quiet than the walk from the office back to the dorm.

We arrived at the train station just in time and I walked Brooke to her train.

"Text me every day," I pleaded. Brooke promised she would try.

"And call me whenever," I added as her train pulled up.

"This is mine," she said as she gave me a hug goodbye. I wanted to kiss her. So badly.

"Brooke," I began. She turned and faced me. I cupped her cheek in my hand and leaned in close to her.

I gave her one small kiss, but didn't want to let go of her.

"I'll see you soon," I told her. She smiled a sad smile and waved goodbye as she turned to board her train. I waved to her when I saw her face in the window. She waved back as the train began to drive away. I stayed at the station until the train was completely gone.

"Goodbye, my love," I said to myself as I held my hand over my heart.

I walked sadly back to my car and stopped by Target on my way home. I thought to pick up some new blankets and decorations for her to come back to.

When I got home, I made her bed and hung up some new posters and set out my favorite picture of both of us on her nightstand.

I pulled out my phone and texted Brooke.

Me:
Hey Brookie! Have you gotten back to your town yet? Lemme know when you're home safe :)

She never answered that night, and I didn't blame her. She was shaken up and deserved to have some time to herself.

I scrolled through her Instagram and noticed she posted a picture of a snowy view from her train station with the caption "home at last," so at least I knew she was home safe.

***

Months went by and she still hadn't answered any of my texts.

Me:
Hey B, me again, just wanted to let you know I'm heading home for winter break so if you come back in the next two weeks I won't be there but I'll be back soon!
Me:
Hi again, just wanted to wish you a merry Christmas and I can't wait to make new memories in the new year!
Me:
Brooookeeee, come home!! I miss you like crazy!
Me:
Brooke, I'm really sorry for literally harassing you lol but I just wanted to say I miss you lots and I have a surprise for you so lemme know if you're planning on coming home soon!

She never responded. The last time I saw her was at that train station.

I got back from winter break and went to all my new classes and asked every professor if there was a Brooke Jones on the roster. My math teacher told me that she was enrolled in the class, so I decided to give Brooke a call when I got home that night.

"Hey Brooke, it's James again, haha, uhm, so classes started again today and guess what? You're in my math class! We have the craziest professor and I can't wait for you to meet her and make some stupid jokes about her with me haha! Anyway, give me a call soon, I miss you a lot, alright, bye."

I hung up the phone and slumped onto my bed and began scrolling through social media. Brooke's name popped up and she posted a picture of two hands.

The caption killed me.

"Maybe I'm a little young, maybe we're going a little fast, but there's no saying maybe when I say I love him."

She was in love. She wasn't coming back. She had moved on.

I frantically called her phone.

"Brooke, I need you to please give me a call back when you can," I told the message.

Thirty minutes later, my phone began to ring. It was Brooke.

"Brooke?" I answered.

"James," She began.

"No, there's something I need to say. I know you've moved on and I'm glad, I really am! I'm happy you're okay and I'm happy you're happy but I just wish you were happy with me. Brooke, if I knew that last year when I hugged you was going to be the last time I hugged you, I would have never let you go. If I knew it was the last time I was going to kiss you I would never have pulled away. I had been pursuing you for four months now, texting you every single day like I promised I would. You never responded. You never answered my calls. You never even texted me to tell me you weren't coming back," I started to get emotional. My eyes grew teary and I sniffled back a cry.

"James, hang up the phone," she said.

I heard keys jingling outside the door. I set the phone down and wiped my eyes. The door creaked open to reveal the most beautiful woman I've ever seen in my life.

I ran over to her and picked her up and pulled her into a passionate kiss.

"Brooke!" I exclaimed. I set her down and embraced her into a long hug. "Why did you put me through hell!? Being without you for that long was awful!"

Brooke just smiled a half smile and laughed a little bit.

I pulled her close to me and held her tight.